21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here in the UK we are limited to combinations that have been issued
Not for a long time. You can ask DVLA to issue a plate (old style) provided that it has never been issued before and they'll then bung it into auction.

It used to be that they'd issue suffix or prefix plates only. (ABC #A, or A# ABC) but now they'll issue anything at all, including very old # A or A # plates from counties/registration districts that never used to exist. Nice little earner for them. ;)

The kicker is that they won't always tell you when it goes up for auction even if they promise they will, and the process might take years, so you'll either need to be checking every listing or pay a plate dealer a substantial sum to do that for you.

Years ago I enquired about COS 1C, was promised it'd go into auction within the year and that I'd be told about it, only for nothing to happen until it cropped up at auction 6 years later to be bought by a plate dealer for £700. (I'd have had that, as an heirloom) He had it up for sale for £10k for quite some time, dropped to £7k for about 3 years, then a chap with a Sierra Cosworth bought it because if you stuck a screw in the final C it said "COSIE" and that was almost Cossie. :rolleyes:

I think it's more fun in the UK as you've got to be more creative. The chap with 2B and NOT 2B. Little Mazdas with MX5 4 MUM and MX5 for DAD. SPF 15 on a 3 litre Austin Healey ragtop etc. Cheeky spacing is fine as the ANPR has no issues with it and it's more memorable for humans. Misrepresenting the letters with screws or silly fonts takes the mickey though!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I used the state web-site and found a lot of 'em I wanted didn't work.

Settled on MPG SXTY. Draws a lot of looks.

It doesn't compare with those mt's, but it ain't bad for a cvt.

..Bob

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
MAXMPG and 70MPG were available in AZ when I was shopping for a vanity plate, but I worried that those messages would antagonize the Murrica! crowd in my newly-adopted red state.

INSIGHT was taken, so I settled for IN5IGHT.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,181 Posts
Rawja
Am I seeing wrong or does that look like IN5IGHT?
Compared to the S on the other vehicle,
Anyway good plate.
Time for another eye exam?

Willie

·
Registered
894 Posts
I tend to keep my Insights 'low profile' with no stickers or plates that gloat over MPG. I don't want some truck-driving jagoff to key my car while I'm shopping.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,181 Posts
Magpie
I stand corrected, thank you.
Willie

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Jayhawk if you please Willie. I liked the century old version which I guess does look like a magpie. Dang if a citrus wouldn't fill out colors in my sig!
Don't be ruffling the feathers on the Jayhawk in the week of the 150th anniversary of Quantrill's raid on Lawrence Kansas! You aren't from Missouri are you?;)
If you follow NCAA men's basketball San Diego State will play the Jayhawks on January 5th.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
435 Posts
Best vanity plate I ever saw a picture of was an Ontario plate with the word "WOMEN" on it. If you are not familiar with the Ontario plate it has the word "Ontario" across the top and the motto "Yours to Discover" across the bottom. So:

Ontario
WOMEN
Yours to Discover

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
435 Posts
Also saw a Maine plate in the Shaw's Supermarket parking lot in Bath -- "OH PRN."

Most likely a healthcare practitioner. OH = alcohol, and PRN is a dosage instruction for "as needed."

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
First vanity plate in about 30 cars but had to. INSIGHT was actually available here in GA but I wanted something different. 70MPG was taken but that would probably get the car keyed anyway. RICERKT was available but might be offensive to some, that's an old term that's maybe not as funny as it used to be. So I settled with ECO RKT.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts