Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an article in the L. A. Times today about car makers that are beginning to cater to animal rights/vegetarian/vegan/ customers. A few mentions of the Prius, but not our SUPERIOR Insights. I can't find any leather in mine. Anyone ever given this any thought?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've pondered that thought before. You will not find leather in any hybrid to date for that very reason. If they had a leather option for the Insight you'd get groups going "boo hiss" and not buy the car. Even the guys at the dealership agreed with me on this. You'll notice also that on the Prius there are many people putting leather in theirs.

I think that the Escape is going to have a leather option and I would put money on it that you get leather in the RX400H. Then again these big vehicles seem less green.

On that note I currently have two pieces of leather in my car and am attempting to save for leather seats. Katzkin has had the pattern for the Insight almost since it came out.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Given the lack of leather options for my Insight, I have instead chosen to wrap my seats in McDonald's wra -- uuurrrrrrrrrP -- excuse me, wrappers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't have any leather in my Insight but I do have a liberal coating of dog hair all over the inside. And, absolutley no vegtables were killed to make my car. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Only if you use them for shimming up the rear springs. :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bless all you vegetarians out there...

I, myself, could never be a vegetarian or a vegan (to me, veggies are stuff real food eats :lol: ). But let's not marginalize the appeal of hybrids to only to a small percentage of whichever universe you choose (pick a population: Liberals, Conservatives, tree-huggers, greenies, vegans, Klingons, whatever floats your boat). Environmental stewardship is not only the province of dietary enthusiasts; fuel efficiency does not equal a follower of a spartan life; and enthusiasm for leatherless, superior engineering does not mark someone as a possible member of an animal rights group. I'm willing to bet there are a number of Insight drivers out there who do animal research... :shock:

·
Registered
700 Posts
While it seems cliche, I can understand the connection. I guess it's a stereotype of "the enlightened".

I'm a vegetarian wannabe (figure that out), but that has little to do with my choice of vehicle.

And I only experiment on humans.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Deerskin!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A friend in the Hill Country (think Austin area) has more deer than he can shake a stick at ("rats with antlers!"). I bet he'll get you all the deer skins you want... :wink:

Is that Naugahyde Vinyl fake-leather stuff still around, or something like it? I bet there's a market for that kind of product amongst some of the population. I prefer the real thing myself, but hey, different strokes...

I happen to know a couple of members of a family of billionaires here in the Dallas area. They don't drive Insights (but have admired mine)... but they do have a six-pack of first-generation Priuses (Prii?) in their stable (I'd like to think due to the gentle influence of you-know-who) and are soon to replace them (and may have by now) with second-gen ones. The wish to be green transcends all population lines... :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O. K., obviously the vegy thing isn't high on your list of priorities. I am a vegie (vegetarian, not a carrot) and guess I consider the car part of my whole outlook on the state of the world and so on, but I really was only pointing out that once again our little gems got overlooked in favor of the Prius. Whassup with that? Why isn't Honda kicking some advertising butt? Since Hybrids are suddenly coming into vogue why aren't we getting more press?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Insight got a lot of attention when it first came out, and then a little more when the CVT model was released. Civic Hybrid also got some press. There won't be much more for the news media to say about Insight until a new model is released or if Honda suddenly boosts production by a factor of 10 or more (unlikely).

On the other hand, Prius 2 is a genuine hit.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Prius II is a phenomenon at this time, surpassing even Toyota's wildest projections. It"s become the Big Mac of hybrids.

This in no way diminishes my Insight. The Insight was #1 historically is aunique vehicle and will be desirable for decades.

We owners have to promote our cars. A VW owner at last weeks auto slallom told me that Guillermo deserves a medal from Honda for the way he promotes the Insight by winning races. Yes, having 3 Insights at that event turned some heads. That's what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Why isn't Honda kicking some advertising butt?"

David, you have to remember that it supposedly costs Honda something like $25K to build an Insight. Not just because it's a hybrid, but because of the aluminium body and all the other goodies. So you have to figure that they probably don't WANT to sell a whole bunch. Just enough to get good press for having the highest mpg car in the US, plus real-world experience that they can apply to their other lines in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts