Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've searched around and can't find any good information on where the vehicle speed sensor is located. I'm in the process of installing a new Pioneer head unit that has navigation built in.

Does anyone know where the wire might be located. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Typically you are looking for a certain color coded wire. The speed sensor is likely located on top of the cvt under the air cleaner housing.

Now the stock radio taps the speed sensor as it varies the loudness of the radio as you drive, so the wire goes to the head unit. Id look for a purple/white wire at the head unit. The orange wire is for illumination.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cobb!

I looked at the wiring harness of the original unit. There are two harnesses, 1 that supplies the power, ground, speakers, etc. 2 a second harness that isn't used when using an aftermarket head unit. I couldn't find a purple wire, but did find a pinkish, reddish wire. Do you think the speed sensor wire is on the second harness?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Always use metra adapters when installing aftermarket head units (I like them for the speakers as well)
The adapter will have all the leads labeled. Makes the install completely reversible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always use metra adapters when installing aftermarket head units (I like them for the speakers as well)
The adapter will have all the leads labeled. Makes the install completely reversible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree metra makes great parts, but I don't think their part includes the pin for VSS.

That being said based on the information Cobb provided I found a blue wire in pin 14 that I will test.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Should be pin 14 vsp (Vehicle Speed Pulse) is blue wire next to purple on 24 pin connector. Pin 13 in 17 pin connector. Purple is accessory fuse and wire next to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts