Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to you ?

In my pursuit of better fuel economy I now drive in the slow lane and generally try to stay the hell out of the way of normal flowing traffic. I will pick up the pace if I am about to become a rolling road block, I'm bothered alot by those who share the road with us but care little for common manners behind the wheel. Tonight on my commute home on a four lane freeway some [moderator edit: person] gets on my bumper and I do mean on my bumber. There was no reason for the guy not to pass me, empty lanes everywhere. Then he nails the high beams and just leaves them on. This [edit: person] was inches off my butt not feet, he was so close the only place the high beams showed were through the bottom rear window. If it had only been the Volkwagen I'll looking to sell. I actually need some repair work to the back side of that car so letting him tap me won't be such a big deal. Probablely no insurance though. Then an idea hit me.......
I washed the rear window, well, it was a little dirty :lol:

Okay,okay. Rant off. AJ

·
Registered
804 Posts
I know exactly how you feel slideways! I can allow two lanes on the left (out of four) for people to pass me by, and some will still near-miss or high-beam me. And this is well before rush hour! I have a 25-mile morning commute to work. I can get 55 mpg doing 80 mph or 80 mph doing 55 mph. When I do an economy run, I fear a crack driver is going to wipe me out. Therefore, I tend to go 60 instead.

At a number of the Dallas mixmasters, there is a long queue of drivers slowing down under 30 mph to get off, but maniacs think nothing of driving along them at 60. One such compact pickup nearly rear-ended me.

I fantize having laser-guided guns under my bumpers to take out the tires of such reckless vehicles. Also would like high-beams in the rear for some of these hot-heads.

My solution to agressive driving is legally make it a lot easier to monitor and nail the butts of these yahoos.

G

·
0 Posts
It sounds like some good ol' boys feel very threatened by the fact that you embrace technology that they will never understand.

Time for a rear-facing taser system to fry everything electronic in their car?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
rear high beams

I was going to install a couple of high beams in the little rear window. But with my luck, I'd probably get sued by the same guy who was blinding Slideways!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Another (Dr.) evil thought: installing an 18-wheeler horn and blowing it when passing a distracted driver on the phone :twisted:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Geez Louise...

I have a hard time with people who do NOT understand the purpose of the modern multi-lane highway. Left is for passing ONLY (and in Texas, this is the law since September 01, 1997)... the center lanes are for driving at a reasonable speed (supposedly below the speed limit, but let's be realistic here)... and the RIGHT lane is for those of us who choose to drive at a safe MINIMUM speed (usually 45 mph in most highways, even though those low, low speeds are suicidal). I have no problem with drivers who observe and respect the rules, and who allow those slower drivers to stay in the right lane. I have a HUGE problem with slow drivers in the left (or center) lanes, speeding lane changers, and tailgaters in ANY lane.

A suggestion if you are ever in such a harrowing situation: Call 911 on your cell, and have the cops come arrest the bastard (get the license # if he passes you before they get there). File charges against him or her ("assault with intent to do bodily harm" or however it's worded in your locality) and cause the dipsh*t all the trouble you can.

In 'Toontown, Krazy Kat would have thrown a brick through his windshield. We can't (legally) do this, but we can certainly ruin his/her day. I'm through ranting now too. Thanks, I needed that! :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok furthering the rear window washer idea. I can't recall the last time I've used mine. Heck, I'm still on the factory fill of washer fluid at 21,000 miles. But... I think it could be easy enough to fabricate a small piece of sheet metal that would be held in by the rear hatch that would deflect the washer fluid up and back behind you instead of at the windshield. Use it for those times when you would like for people to get off your back. Then you could get creative with what you put in the resivor. I don't think trying to clear your window while driving is illegal.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have listed several kinds of bad drivers:

(1) distracted (including phone users)
(2) agressive drivers with anger or manhood issues
(3) some rural drivers that visit the city
(4) drunk and stoned drivers (does not take many of these to do harm)
(5) Joyriders :roll:

A growing number of people are joyriding. I thing over the years 1999-2002, the number of arrests for speeding over 95 mph doubled. Legally, anyone stopped for going over 95 can be put in jail in Texas.

Movies have been made glorifing joyriding like The Fast and Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious. This is encouraging young guys to be even more reckless. Unfortunately, one sub-culture seems to revel in joyriding. Sorry if I'm politically incorrect for that last comment, but if anyone kills me joyriding, I'll probably be dead before I notice who killed me! Wish they would do something safer like go to their apartment and play Russian Roulette. :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
Things is, speed is not dangerous, as long as it's used at an appropriate time.

I compleated a 150mile back from the race track in a BMW 530d Touring in 1hr10mins, do the math yourselves, but ther was hardly another car on the road.

On my daily drive to work I will sit at 75mph (the limit is 70) quite happliy as it is dangerous to go any faster due to volume of traffic.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,877 Posts
speed kills

It's not the speed that kills, it's the "loose nut" on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Washing the rear window was a good idea!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haven't tried the rear sprayer at freeways speeds yet, does it tend to spray up more? A friend of mine use to have an SUV (Inherited from parents and he was in high school so any vehicle was a good one) that had the rear sprayer in the wiper itself and once in a while the little hose would come lose and he could spray wiper fluid a good 10+ feet when stopped. Of course he would try and spray me with it if I was behind him :?

I live on a somewhat rural hiway that is the alternate route for people who don't want to take the over crowded "freeway" (2 lanes each way) and they think that the 55MPH signs are a minimum speed. I was once honked at by a semi behind me when I was doing 55 (and not slowing down) up the only hill on the road. He did slow down when he saw the CHP on the other side of the hill though. There are also plenty of idiots who think nothing of passing on the double-yellow, I E-mailed the company of delivery truck did that a few weeks ago.

I honestly wish they had some automatic ticketing cameras on this road to try and get people to slow down a bit. Sure I like driving fast and all, but this road is full of driveways, farms, etc. and has several fatalities a year on it. 2 of which happened within 100 yards of my driveway only a few months after moving in (and no, I wasn't involved.) Speaking of which, there were some squealing tires just now, no BANG though.

As far as getting back at the stupid drivers, 911 or 1-800-TELL-CHP (in California) are good. I can think of some good devices to get back at them, but most of which would probably be illegal.

While typing this out I got to thinking, often times the sprayers are adjustable... Sure enough, you can adjust the angle of the sprayer on the back of the Insight :D Mine was pointed down to hitting above where the wiper even touches, using a little pin stuck into the nozzle I pointed it up, it was able to shoot out slightly higher than horizontal. Although I provide this information only for people who have a poorly adjusted nozzle :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was aware that the nozzle can be adjusted and thought of this actually before the tailgating affair. That evening once I'd gotten home I did find that in fact the nozzle on mine needed to be adjusted :twisted:

We,ve probably all been on a road at sundown when the glare is bad and been behind someone who suddenly has to wash their windshield. This usually happens to me the day after I spent hours washing and waxing....

Be well, AJ

G

·
0 Posts
dazey said:
While typing this out I got to thinking, often times the sprayers are adjustable... Sure enough, you can adjust the angle of the sprayer on the back of the Insight :D Mine was pointed down to hitting above where the wiper even touches, using a little pin stuck into the nozzle I pointed it up, it was able to shoot out slightly higher than horizontal. Although I provide this information only for people who have a poorly adjusted nozzle :wink:
While I can't type this without smirking, my nozzle happens to be poorly adjusted. :wink: Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
320 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an old guy, it really does seem like "normal" drivers are getting worse every year. Besides the normality of people driving over 80mph, cell phones and the stupid agression of SUV drivers, it's getting really rare that you see anyone signal their intent to change lanes. Have they stopped teaching these things in driver's ed?

People have a basic lack of respect for physics. Yes, speed is safe. It's that sudden stop that gets you. If you tailgate and the guy in front of you slams on the brakes, you'll probably pass the beginning of his skid marks before you can apply your own brakes. So what makes you so special that you think you can stop in less distance than he did?

Two nights ago, while I was driving on a curvy road (a detour for a bridge under repair) at higher than the speed limit, I had a jerk pull up on my bumper, flash his high beams repeatedly and generally drive in an agressive, threatening manner. And this was in a car, not an SUV. :shock:

So, when I finally got to the intersection where I turned right and he went straight, I could hear him yelling really bad names at me and making sugguestions that I should copulate.

Sometimes testosterone is embarrassing, especially when combined with alcohol and gasoline. I wish the he and his car were left to cool off for about 30 days in a rehabilitation center. Feed him if he becomes polite.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
On my RX-7, I have a switch on the dash that allows me to turn my brake lights on anytime I want....I have often thought of a similar installation in the Insight due to the constant tailgating. I get an odd pleasure in watching person behind me nearly pee themselves at the moment I see my brake lights reflect in their windshield.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"... while I was driving on a curvy road (a detour for a bridge under repair) at higher than the speed limit, I had a jerk pull up on my bumper, flash his high beams repeatedly..."

Could you not find a handy spot to pull over and let him by? Admittedly, I tend to be on the other side more often, due to mountain roads and the flatland tourists who think 25 mph is an appropriate speed on them - they're posted 55, and don't EVEN get me started on RVs! But on those occasions where someone obviously wants to go faster than I, it's seldom any trouble at all to find a convenient turnout and let him pass.

Courtesy can go both ways, you know. How can you expect to get what you aren't willing to give?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I get an odd pleasure in watching person behind me nearly pee themselves at the moment I see my brake lights reflect in their windshield.
Nice one! :lol:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The reason I don't use signals ever is that here in Dallas, using a signal gives everyone around you the immediate need to cut in front of you or into the lane you're going to use. No warning = smooth lane changing. I sh*t you not. Even cops I know suggest letting signals slide... and if you live in Big D, you may have noticed our finest seldom use theirs. Will M, I have never seen drivers as rude as our Dallas drivers (and I've driven, literally, all over the world). OK, I'll give you Mexico City, D.F., but that's it... :wink:

Aaron, your brake light idea is sooooo cooool... If any of you Monster Garage-type guys could add some gadget that would make the rear end jump up two-three inches along with the brake light (making it seem you've dropped anchor at speed), perhaps you could motivate tailgaters to go from Number One to Number Two ... :shock: :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

·
Registered
804 Posts
When I moved to Dallas 20 years ago, I was not prepared for the degree of competition there. I had so many interviews that wanted a programmer to be as driving as a commission-only salesman. :roll: I could go at length about one IT company infamous for a military enviroment that expected everyone to work 60-hour weeks minimum. Quite a number there seemed to be in a contest to see who could act more restless and agressive than Capt. Kirk. That might be a hoot on Saturday Night Live, but not in the workplace. Quite a number of Dallas business glorified and tried to emulate this type of corporate culture. The have turned the word agressive in to a vulgarism - someone on a mission eager to roadkill anyone in the way. Ironically, I got some heat this week at work for being agressive.

I can't help but belive that the large population of ultra-competitors in the Dallas area have a lot make this one of the rudest group of drivers in America. After a long day at work of battling to acomplish the impossible, they fight to get to their destination first. Even if they have time to arrive at a leisurly rate, they tend to run over everybody en-route anyway. I have not mentioned Yuppies and workacholics much, but I've considered them the leaders in making Dallas such a bad place to drive. Every urban area has them, but Dallas has more of them. They tend to get new things well before things wear out for appearances sake. Remember one such type a few years ago that traded his CRX Si for an SUV - ultra status oriented :( He was bragging to the girls about his ultimate roof rack that cost three times of a typical one.

Oh, articles earlier this year listed the rudest US cities:

1. NYC
2. Miami (only one the women were worse than the men)
3. Boston
4. Dallas
5. LA

I wish all the performance and monster vehichles' commericials were required to be honest and appeal to the lowest-common demonator. The ad should have the vehichle recklessly weaving down the freeway. When the driver stops and gets out, it's The Rock (a wrestler) greeted by a crowd of scantily-clad women. The ad ends:

Have you Kicked A$$ Yet?!
I hope some people would wake up after seeing such commericials and grow up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts