Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really need solid thoughts on this one. It will be long winded explanation.

Car vibrates 40 and above during acceleration only. Coasting in gear fine, neutral as well. Seems to go away during acceleration if I put weight on passenger side left turns

2010 insight 265k miles

Bought car, ima motor went bad (made a thread during replacing) pulled motor and trans, replaced ima motor. Car vibrated at higher speeds ever since. Hit pothole as well after replacement.

What's been replaced to try and fix it. Both cv axle (driver side was definitely bad), tie rods inner and outer, both lower control arms, stabilizing links, struts all around, rim, two tires in the front, balanced all around at 2 different shops, passenger side motor mount, wheel knuckle hub and barring on both front sides, rotors, brakes, alignment twice.

I'm kind of obsessing over it during driving and can't focus on anything else and it's driving me mad really.

I feel the transmission mount could be an issue, but not definitive.

I noticed some improvement after replacing the motor mount on passenger side along with tightening cv axle nut on passenger side but issue persists. (Work and test drive done today)

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Yeah, it can be really frustrating to spend a lot of effort and money and end up with an unsatisfactory outcome. Sounds like you did the work yourself and that is commendable, but we amateurs do sometimes make mistakes.

If it started at the exact time of the IMA replacement, it must be somehow related to that operation, IMO.

Just a couple of possibilities; you might have hyper extended one of the CV joints and damaged it. Re Gen1s, klr3cyl has spoken of this problem before. I suspect the dangers with the Gen2 would be very similar. If you pull one apart by hyper extension, there are special procedures on reassembling it. When you are putting weight on passenger side drive shaft in a turn, you are removing weight from driver's side, so I'd guess the bad CV joint is on driver's side. This is the rather "classic" determination of bad CV location. I know you said you replaced it, but you may be using the same faulty procedures repeatedly. Also, if you used a "new" rebuilt shaft, it may have been faulty.

Second, there is a remote possibility that you did something wrong in installing the new IMA motor, but that doesn't seem likely since those sorts of problems would not be sensitive to turn direction near as I can reason.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced them with new aftermarket cv axles. What do you mean cv location? Wouldn't putting weight during turn on passengers side hyper extend the cv axle on the driver side more making the vibration more pronounced?

I do feel it's in my cv axle somewhere or my motor mounts.

·
Super Moderator
1,671 Posts
Have you put the car in the air and run it and watched the components to see if you can see something not running true?

Looking at your profile I don’t see a location? I wouldn’t know who to possibly send you to or if your close enough for me to take a look.

Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So last night driving it was intermediate. Think I had a bad motor mount that was causing the inner cv joint to extend and contract as we talked about. When I turn left the problem goes away until a right turn and then consistent vibration during straight driving. Thinks going in and out and has to be re set in the inner cv axle and then tourqe the wheel nut to proper specs.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
I was talking about the hyper extension that can take place during installation if one isn't careful. Once the shaft is installed, it isn't a risk. Anyway, extension should not be a current consideration, unless they were hyper extended during installation, and then reassembled.

When you turn hard left, then you load the right side CV joint and UNLOAD the driver's side CV joint. Seems to me that is the classic symptom of a bad CV joint on the passenger side. klr3cyl is much better qualified than I, so maybe he will speak to this.

If you are certain of a bad motor mount, then yes there could be a shift of the engine/transmission which would cause problems, but how did this occur exactly when you changed the IMA motor?

Can you confirm that this started at the time you changed the IMA motor and didn't exist earlier? That would be a valuable clue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm positive it was after. I had a moment when installing the engine that i had too much weight and pull on that motor mount. It also had rust bubbles on it showing wear. Car has 264k on it and it only got better with symptoms after new mount.

"When you turn hard left, then you load the right side CV joint and UNLOAD the driver's side CV joint. Seems to me that is the classic symptom of a bad CV joint on the passenger side."

Wouldn't unloading the drivers side during left turns relieving the symptoms indicate it's the drivers side cv joint?

If I'm in the parking lot and turn all the way to the left and then drive away normal the symptoms go away 95% until I make another right turn.

It might have been the motor mount but now have broken the new cv axles. I think I'll have to take a look totally tomorrow at both axles.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
I think you over-extended the axle on removal/installation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since so many suspension and drivetrain components were touched, Id suggest breaking loose all the bushing bolts, set the car on the ground and bounce it good with a helper a few times, then attempt to tighten any bolts through the bushings while the car is at rest on the ground.

Ive seen odd noises and vibrations come from things being torqued down when they are not at their static resting spot.

Engine mounts can do this too. Again, crack things just loose enough to allow a little movement, and perhaps have the motor idling, then properly torque down.

Smaller cars make things things more noticeable.

My cadillac had someone replace the front control arms, and they must have torqued them on a lift, as I was tracking down an odd thumping noise over bumps, and once I cracked a bushing loose, the car made a light thud-click noise, and the arm re-centered itself, and thudding noise over bumps was gone. The noise was caused by the bushing being twisted and creating a "pre-load" of sorts, and small bumps were allowing the bushing to yank the arm against the subframe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think so too Willie, but we'll see when I get to work on it tomorrow or the day after.

Liston, all those parts were to try and remedy the issue i was having. 😂 my fault for not mentioning. But with the new motor mount there's a significant improvement so I have to be inclined to assume it was causing an issue with the cv axle joint alignment and threw it off. I really need to get into it to really see and feel it out. However these explanations have definitely helped my thought process because while driving with that vibration it's all one can obsess over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean with the control arm though. If they don't tighten it with the cars weight on it instead of on the lift you get a clunky noise.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Wouldn't unloading the drivers side during left turns relieving the symptoms indicate it's the drivers side cv joint?
I think it is the other way around, but maybe klr3cyl will speak to this. He has vastly more experience than I do. Maybe we can google "diagnosing CV joint."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is the other way around, but maybe klr3cyl will speak to this. He has vastly more experience than I do. Maybe we can google "diagnosing CV joint."
I tried but no luck when it comes to symptoms on specific sides while driving. I ordered the driver side cv axle which was broken in the past on the inner. If anything I'll return it but don't want to work on it for nothing without the part in hand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Perhaps along with the new CV axle, you should go to a local junkayrd, find older 80s to 90s hodna civics, and see about grabbing some of those rubber dampener bushings that go around the CV axle.

Some aftermarket axles are not properly balanced, and having that rubber split bushing on the axle helps tremendously for vibrations.

I didnt think of this before, as I rarely see this as an issue. But I replaced cv axles on my Sonata yesterday, and it vibrated like crazy, and upon inspection, found out I had forgotten to slide the rubber bushing back over (on 3rd party axles, they had put them on, but they were shoved nearly against the inner CV joint).

Moving the bush closer to the center (be mindful of clearances for anything around the axle) and putting a radiator hose clamp over it to tighten it down, completely removed the vibration.

What a coincedence this was... Hope this can help!

·
Super Moderator
1,671 Posts
I would take the car to a shop, possibly the one that balanced your tires. I would ask them if they would put the car in the air on a lift with it running and inspect the moving components. Possibly even have a mechanic in the car speeding it up to see if you can see the bad component.

I think you said you replaced one engine mount. We have had a case in our shop where one was the obvious bad mount. We replaced that one and it shifted the vibration to the other old mount. It actually need 2 mounts from the beginning.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts