Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what might be causing a subtle vibration/rattle immediately after shutting off the engine. It's barely noticeable but has been there since I bought the car. Engine mount?

There's no vibration/rattle on start up or during operation. It sounds a little like it's coming from the rear which makes me wonder if it could be exhaust related but the exhaust feels solid.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Loose cat heat shield?
Loose cat exhaust flange doughnut gasket?
Loose exhaust internal baffles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just curious what might be causing a subtle vibration/rattle immediately after shutting off the engine. It's barely noticeable but has been there since I bought the car. Engine mount?

There's no vibration/rattle on start up or during operation. It sounds a little like it's coming from the rear which makes me wonder if it could be exhaust related but the exhaust feels solid.

Thoughts?
I had a vibration kinda like that when I first got it, and it was my lower rear engine mount, kind of a pain to find with a lot of research I did on Ebay, got a refurbished one (they had old mount and pressed in new bushing) and was cheaper then all the others, $62 item # - 264358723582 manual trans, $59 item # - 264358719820 Auto trans. Do a visual inspection, easiest way to tell. Otherwise, check other mounts and see if retepsnikrep's ideas could be a source, grab and move anything u can think of lol. Jack up high and have a friend shut if off a few times. Best I can think of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. I had seen that refreshed motor mount on ebay myself and wondered if that might end up being the ticket. But before I get carried away I need to get it up on my lift and have a look around.

If it ends up being the rear motor mount, what sort of job is replacing it? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I had seen that refreshed motor mount on ebay myself and wondered if that might end up being the ticket. But before I get carried away I need to get it up on my lift and have a look around.

If it ends up being the rear motor mount, what sort of job is replacing it? Thanks!
It's not terrible... time consuming, not terrible though. The rear bolts are easy. The front bolt interferes with the exhaust, so I had to unhook the exhaust isolators and pry the exhaust out of the way enough to clear the bolt so I could change it. While I was down there, and exhaust unstrapped, I did all the oxygen sensors too. After you get enough clearance on the front bolt to get the mount out, just tap it back in with a hammer on the new mount and good to go. Took about an hour but I did it slow, was my first time changing that mount.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the details. Were your o2 sensors causing problems or was this a matter of time/convenience?

About what did they cost and where did you source them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey thanks for the details. Were your o2 sensors causing problems or was this a matter of time/convenience?

About what did they cost and where did you source them?

Thanks!
More of a convenience, but common problem that they got a code that says the 2nd and 3rd o2 needs changed so figured while I was down there to do it. The NTK's by NGK were only $39 for the second and $66 for the third off Rock Auto, so not bad. The most expensive one is the bank one cause its a wide-band and its over $150 most places. You can get them cheaper but I always try and get good parts for me vehicles unless I'm in a bind. The o2 sensors aren't something you usually need to change right away, like say a cam sensor or crank sensor, that I would need immediately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
snoop_drdre
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing