Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 LX with 147k Miles

I replaced the brake pads and rotors about 7k miles ago. I'm assuming that's unrelated.

Over the last few days I have noticed, when turning, usually at lower speeds (40 or less) I sometimes feel a vibration. I only feel it in my hands on the wheel, I never feel it like anywhere else like in my feet or whatever.

Any ideas as to what I should look at?

·
Registered
317 Posts
2010 LX with 147k Miles

I replaced the brake pads and rotors about 7k miles ago. I'm assuming that's unrelated.

Over the last few days I have noticed, when turning, usually at lower speeds (40 or less) I sometimes feel a vibration. I only feel it in my hands on the wheel, I never feel it like anywhere else like in my feet or whatever.

Any ideas as to what I should look at?
If it was another car I'd say the CV boot was ripped, leaking grease but I've not heard anything like that reference Honda insight,but might be worth a check,and it's usually a knocking sound rather than a vibration

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it was another car I'd say the CV boot was ripped, leaking grease but I've not heard anything like that reference Honda insight,but might be worth a check,and it's usually a knocking sound rather than a vibration
I'd say in hindsight a warped disc could be the problem

·
Registered
317 Posts
So let's say I take the front wheels off and inspect the rotors -- what would I be looking for in order to diagnose a rotor as being warped? Or would it look really obvious?

I can also look at the CV boots at the same time.
as the op stated- check for grooves etc,quite visible to the eye and touch

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the front wheels off today but couldn't see anything that looks irregular to me. Plenty of pad left on all brakes. CV boots at both the hubs and the differential showed no signs of tearing or leaking.

Sound can occur when car is stationary. It feels like metal to metal contact when turning the wheel. It is intermittent, it doesn't happen with every turn. Sometimes it squeaks a little.

I took photos of everything I inspected but I don't have wifi right now so I can't upload at the moment.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I pulled the front wheels off today but couldn't see anything that looks irregular to me. Plenty of pad left on all brakes. CV boots at both the hubs and the differential showed no signs of tearing or leaking.

Sound can occur when car is stationary. It feels like metal to metal contact when turning the wheel. It is intermittent, it doesn't happen with every turn. Sometimes it squeaks a little.

I took photos of everything I inspected but I don't have wifi right now so I can't upload at the moment.
Dustguard?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have somebody else turn the wheel while you listen. A steering noise while stationary would have me inspecting the ball joints, tie rod ends and strut bearings. Maybe the rack and steering column.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts