Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ecky - I mentioned 'vtec killers' in a general sense as there are all varieties of methods to essentially stay on the aggressive cams. As you mentioned one can replace the cams with a fixed cam however there are plenty of 'ghetto' ways to do this easily from locking the solenoid to using an EMS system to lie to the computer.

The value varies from engine to engine. My experience comes primarily from tracking my S2000 (just HPDE stuff). With the F20c if you drop below vtec you have less torque than a decent lawn mower. I just happened to have a vAFC which I could use to lie to the computer and tell vtec to engage at a nice low 4,000 rpm instead of 6,000. In hot track conditions this always kept me in vtec ... simple 'vtec killer' without swapping cams (not optimal but I wasn't racing for trophies).

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Out of first hand experience, I have to ask you a question about your Kirkey seat. Is this the entry level, single aluminum layer back:eek:

In SCCA all seats have to have a brace for the headrest part, but not at the time of my serious RX7 crash. At time of my huge multiple end-over-end crash, my entry level Kirkey seat headrest bent and essentially collapsed. Gave me a gimpy neck for several years, but it could have broken my neck. Highly recommend you attach a back brace. You could run a brace bar between the diagonal and the driver's side upright and attach the brace there. There are ways to make it adjustable quickly if need be.

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
To original poster .... what kind of endurance series is this for? I didn't see anything in the thread. I'm really peaked by this idea as I could see taking an Insight and keeping the low hp engine, IMA and modifying the ability to boost (MIMA or IMA-C&C style) and just with some real grip and suspension mods for actual handling I think this could do well in something like Lemons or Champ Car ...... put in a fuel cell and go for looooooong stints at a turtle pace. If you could go something like 2-3 times the number of stints of a typical Miata or E36 in one of those crapcan series that could really make for an interesting attempt (beef up the battery pack and be able to do massive electric capture and assist. The only thing I'm usure of is how much work would be required, or even if possible, about the 'endurance' of so much rapid discharge and recharge of batteries for the IMA.
The OP has removed all his IMA stuff and gutted the actual motor so he won't be going down this route.
However it is all doable to varying degrees and has been done before and documented on here..
Lithium, supercaps, more power etc etc current hacks, voltage hacks, max boost etc etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This car is being built to compete in LeMons, Champcar, and Lucky Dog endurance races. Myself and my team members usually can't go more than about 2.5-3 hours of race driving before we conk out, so I'm hoping the stock fuel tank will let us go this long without needing to install a fuel cell. It's more enjoyable to be able to let every team members drive each day (usually 3 or 4), so going longer stints isn't that important to me at this time. This will all change after the inevitable K-swap.

The seat is a Kirkey series 65 seat. I have one of the same series from a few years ago in another older endurance car and I've noticed that they've recently added some doubler plates to the back of the seat since I bought the first one. It looks pretty beefy around the headrest portion, however I'll definitely look into adding another brace. I already purchased Kirkey's matching plate they make for this purpose and will just need to fabricate an adjustable connection to the roll cage for it. We have an adjustable brace on the older seat and it works well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This car is being built to compete in LeMons, Champcar, and Lucky Dog endurance races. Myself and my team members usually can't go more than about 2.5-3 hours of race driving before we conk out, so I'm hoping the stock fuel tank will let us go this long without needing to install a fuel cell. It's more enjoyable to be able to let every team members drive each day (usually 3 or 4), so going longer stints isn't that important to me at this time. This will all change after the inevitable K-swap.

The seat is a Kirkey series 65 seat. I have one of the same series from a few years ago in another older endurance car and I've noticed that they've recently added some doubler plates to the back of the seat since I bought the first one. It looks pretty beefy around the headrest portion, however I'll definitely look into adding another brace. I already purchased Kirkey's matching plate they make for this purpose and will just need to fabricate an adjustable connection to the roll cage for it. We have an adjustable brace on the older seat and it works well.
Under full throttle race conditions you'll probably get anywhere from 25 to 30 mpg. The stock tank holds 10 gallons, so 250+ miles I'm guessing. Not sure if you have miles-per-stint info or not, but hope that helps. My car has no IMA, and if I'm flogging it I can't get under 25 mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm, this is really making me want to go do some testing. I'd love to put the most rubber one can fit in a stock-ish Insight, use CVT, just keep the foot down and use a MIMA / IMAC&C type mod to effectively be my brakes and throttle. I wonder if the IMA system would be up for that .. or with some appropriate modding.

Now all I need to do is find more time in a 24/7 week ... and find some fellow Insight owners/racers in the Chicago area willing to form Team Insight (we could develop & test all we want at the Joliet Autobahn). I'll take this to my own post ... but keep watching this one.

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
Hmm, this is really making me want to go do some testing. I'd love to put the most rubber one can fit in a stock-ish Insight, use CVT, just keep the foot down and use a MIMA / IMAC&C type mod to effectively be my brakes and throttle. I wonder if the IMA system would be up for that .. or with some appropriate modding.
All doable and discussed at length on here already in numerous threads on hacking/rallying etc.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts