Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just saw your Jswap on Kswapped page. Gnarly build! I am going the direction of turboed motorcycle engine (most likely a busa from a little research). The goal for this is to have a street daily driven vehicle that gets good mileage while still having some getup and go for all those that like to tailgate hybrids, "just because". There are more than a few people that like to do this in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I just saw your Jswap on Kswapped page. Gnarly build! I am going the direction of turboed motorcycle engine (most likely a busa from a little research). The goal for this is to have a street daily driven vehicle that gets good mileage while still having some getup and go for all those that like to tailgate hybrids, "just because". There are more than a few people that like to do this in Chicago.
I'm skeptical of a busa engine delivering good economy in a car chassis - real world economy of the motorcycles seems to indicate upper 30's is fairly normal, and an Insight chassis weighs 3x as much, with likely 3x the frontal area as well.

I'm averaging upper 40's with my K24 in mixed driving.

I would, however, love to see this swap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm skeptical of a busa engine delivering good economy in a car chassis - real world economy of the motorcycles seems to indicate upper 30's is fairly normal, and an Insight chassis weighs 3x as much, with likely 3x the frontal area as well.

I'm averaging upper 40's with my K24 in mixed driving.

I would, however, love to see this swap.
Real world application in a busa? ... states frequent redline visits and wheel off the ground brutal acceleration FPG rathere than MPG. My 1200 gets 50mpg or so they say. I may get 150 out of a 5 gallon tank. Maybe. I do have two manuals now, one that I can get 78mpg driving at 70mph so I'm not choosing the busa route for extreme mpg. I still hope that I could pull 40mpg. I'm not so sure how fast it would be. It may be that the kswap is still a better option but this would be cheaper provided that I don't take into consideration the cradle to mount it. But sequential shift quaiffe trans costs at least 8-12 grand right? I think this is a good option for a cvt chassis. IMA LTO swap for mpg insight and it should cover my Jones for both categories. Right now I am looking into the possibility and pragmatics. I'm allowing myself to daydream about this because I am very close to finished on my rehab project. Will share the progress here once I get started.
I really like your build a lot. It does make sense that you are killing two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm still wondering at the longevity and reliability. We were looking at a 500 pound platform bumping up the weight to around 1300 pounds. How would this engine do as far as trans, etc. I know it would work but how well? I'm still looking into it. I may just go the beaten path and do a k20 swap. I think that requires much less thinking and in the end would probably be much more reliable and cheap. Should I just order the manual mounts from Brian and just figure out how to make it work on the cvt? What do you all think? If it doesn't work I can use them in my other car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been reading more and perhaps I will just stick with the kswap. lol Probably will cost twice as much in the end for less potential. I just thought it would be cool.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts