Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can race whatever you want in Lemons just be prepared to be hit with laps.

For example, we raced with you guys at Buttonwillow, in the Red CRX. We have 130HP B20 swap and Jay put us in Class A with 5 laps. You guys will probably have 150 laps. Or they think you wont finish the race because you will blow something up.

I want to see this thing run, What race are you going to next enter?

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Our next scheduled race is April 3rd-4th at Sonoma. I’ve also scheduled a track day on March 6th at Thunderhill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are signed up for Sonoma as well. I don't think we will be passing you guys in the straight anymore.

I daily drive a 2017 V6 MT Accord Coupe that basically has that same J Series engine. Its insanely fast, I can only imagine that in such a light and tuned car.

To the previous posters point about $500 car, all the calculations about value are up to the judges discretion and your car has to pass the eye test. You did fantastic work on the build and thank you for documenting it here. As a fellow Honda racer, I have dreamed of doing something like this. That being said, It looks way too nice to pass the eye test and you probably built yourself out of Lemons compatibility. Again you can race anything but they are going to give you so many laps you won't win. Luckydog is typically faster and for more serious teams. All that being said, we have only done 1 Lemons race, converting over from Chumpcar as they have died on the west coast. So I am not expert.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
288 Posts
Awesome work!

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m not worried about Lemons qualifying, this will be my 17th race with them in our 3rd car. Our team won the Coppa di Bondo last year (their national championship of sorts). Lemons is only tangentially about winning races, it is many things to many people. We honestly don’t care if we “win”, we just want to have fun in something ridiculous on track and they provide the best opportunity for this. Wheel to wheel racing in a cheap car is perhaps the highest joy I know how to experience. That being said, I will definitely still TRY to win.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That build is amazing. I can't imagine you ever getting traction. I test drove a 16 Pilot I worked on today and it breaks the front tires loose at 40 MPH, and that is one heavy vehicle. The Honda V6 is a power house, enjoy!

·
Registered
2000 MT
86 Posts
The blox spherical bushings, would those be originally for an ep3/dc5 or more 8th gen civic? I'd love some hardened rubber ones but unsure about your experience with it backing out of the arm!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice work Bob, hope to follow in your footsteps soon with my red one. I know it's not exactly the same, but our MR2 has been running a V6 with Delrin engine mounts for 23 races, 3 or 4 should'a won races, and 2 actual wins including the 24h race at CMP in 2019. We've had zero issues with the solid mounts, and while Delrin isn't steel or aluminum, it's quite stiff, like steel or aluminum. Sure the MR2 unibody is steel, but the whole rest of the unibody is falling apart and the front mount is known for tearing out of the unibody, and here we are doing just fine. Your power to weight will be.......robust.....like a stripped and upgraded Hellcat. Of course like every LS3 swapped Miata "YoU'Ll RuIn ThE hAnDlInG wItH tHaT hEaVy EnGiNe" Whatever, you're going to dominate.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts