Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Congratulations! Look forward to seeing them on your Insight.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only took 26 weeks! I pressured the heck out of the dealer and importer. At least I got a free T-shirt :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sweet!

Now you'll be burning up the pavement. :wink:

One thing you might want to do is carefully peel off one of the Rays engineering wheel spec stickers from the rim and put it on your drivers door jam next to the mfg stickers. That way service techs can get info on them at a glance. I did this with my Enkei rims. It will look like they did that from the factory. :D

I'm throughly jealous your rims only weight like six pounds each. Once you get the tires mounted it would be neat to have the weight of each wheel compared to stock. The stock weight for one wheel is about 22-23lbs, so hopefully your's will be about five pounds or more lighter.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yeah,

Please post a picture or better yet a link to a bunch of pics (close- far - at angle -...)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Highly anticipating pictures and results.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got 1-2 more days until the tires come in. I'm goining to use the stock size.

The stock tires and rims are goining to be put in the shed.

I'll take bigger pictures with more detail once I learn how to use my personal web page.

I want to dyno the car once I get the rims put on the car. Might not be all that accurate because I've bypassed the muffler, ramair intake, heatwrapped the heat shield on the cat.

I can use my obdII software and do a 60-90mph run in 3rd. It will measure the time with stock rims then once more with the Volks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi:

It's been awhile since I've visited your site, and I've noticed that now you have a car-bra on the Insight.

I used to own a cheap car bra for my Civic and hated it. Didn't really work to stop dents and chips. It was dirty all the time, and if I had it on all the time, I'd probably had a two-tone, paint-fade hood. Not to mention what it'll do to the aerodynamics of an Insight.

There seems to be lots of people swearing by the 3M clear paint protection film. The drawback is the cost of installation. Otherwise, I've seen them, in person, on dark-colored cars and they are near invisible. I've seen pictures of them on light-colored cars, and most owners don't mind the thin-seam. They think it's a worthwhile investment.

I've looked into Invinca-Shield (http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm), and they do make a kit for the Insight:

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=1832

The kit is reasonably priced, but to have it professionally installed, it could possibly cost up to $200-300 worth of additional labor. People have installed it themselves, and to be honest, the surface of Insight's hood isn't all that curvy, thus it probably isn't all too difficult for DIY. But like tinting windows, there are others who urged that the professional install is the own way to go. I haven't bought one cause I was still sitting on the fense on the issue...

Then last month, I decided to look again into the material (since someone mentioned on the web that the new line of 3M film is more flexible). I found this site that will sell the uncut film:

http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/3m84853.html

That's a great price, relative to the 12 in x 84 in. packaged roll...

http://store.yahoo.com/levineauto/3mscotpainpr2.html

For those who are more crafty, this could be a low cost DIY solution that would be far more superior to the leather car bra.

Just an idea...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the tires put on the rims today. All four Volk rims, new tires, and rays lus weighed in at 79lbs.
New stock tires must weigh 13.5lbs..?

The stock rims with worn out tires weighed 86lbs. I wonder how much tire rubber is wore down? If the math is right a set of worn down tires are about 12lbs lighter .

This is using my low dollar digital bathroom scales. So probably a little in accurate.
I had to weigh them 4 at a time because the scales couldn't read one wheel at a time.

Rims bolted right up with no problems. Looks very sweet.
Test drive --- I couldn't say if it wanted the car to be quicker or that the rims made the car quicker.

I used my obdii software and did a 60-90mph in 3rd. with stock rims in a time of 15 seconds. BTW I removed my winter mods and put the stock air intake on the car for the test.

20:32:27, Engine RPM, 3193, ,
20:32:28, Vehicle Speed, 60, ,
20:32:28, Long Term FT B1, -7.02, %,
20:32:28, Short Term FT B1, 3.90, %,
20:32:28, Coolant Temperature, 180, F,
20:32:29, Intake Air Temp., 72, F,
----------

20:32:42, Coolant Temperature, 190, F,
20:32:43, Intake Air Temp., 68, F,
20:32:43, Abs. Throttle Pos., 90, %,
20:32:43, Engine RPM, 4786, ,
20:32:43, Vehicle Speed, 90

I'll do another 60-90mph run in the morning.

Too dark to take pictures. I'll post some pics tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The advantages of the lighter rims will be most noticeable at lower speeds where aerodynamic drag is less of a factor.
You should try comparing 5 to 35 MPH acceleration times in 1st gear,
or 15 to 55 MPH times in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I'll take the rims off to do another test run. Perhaps another Insighter with obdII software could do one. Then I could.

I did the 60-90 in third today and is was just slightly faster 15 seconds took me to 92mph.

I did manage my trip home 62 miles to get 78.2 mpg. I noticed that if I kept the speeds down to 60mph the IMPG was 80+.

The car feels quicker turning.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
In theory the lighter the rims are the more accurately the tires will follow the road surface. This would improve traction, reduce energy loss due to sidewall flexing, and reduce the gyroscopic effect. Even though the difference is small they should accelerate, handle, and turn better. The mileage and acceleration gains could easily be offset by increased wind resistance but that would not effect handling. I'm looking forward to photos as I bet they look terrific!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___I like the much lower weight vs. OEM but their aerodynamics may off set some of the gain in comparison to stock … Also, they don’t sound that cost effective although if you love the look, you made the right decision.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:24l2xtub][email protected][/email:24l2xtub]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats to your nice wheels :shock:

We here in Germany have to stick to our original alloys :cry:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
xcel said:
___Also, they don’t sound that cost effective although if you love the look, you made the right decision.

True... If I put 200k plus miles on the car I might make the cost difference back.

The car does feel a little quicker to turn. Can't judge the stopping. I'm happy with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts