Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:

I just want to post this for all to take warning to. I ordered a set of Volk rims 14x5.5 for the Insight. They are kind of $$$$ over 1100 for the rims.

To order the rims they must be put on order by a dealer. The dealer then calls the one and only US importer Mackin ind. From there Japan makes the rims.

I'm not sure at which step in the process is the problem but I waited the 8-12 weeks normal waiting time PLUS another 12 weeks and I was just told it will be another 4 weeks!!

I ordered from http://forperformance.com/wheels.html who is the middle man for http://www.mackinindustries.com/

Just thought I'd warn those to not order VOLK rims until they get there heads out off ---------------!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Dang, that sucks dude. I think by about week 14 or 15 I'd be asking for my money back.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Cakley - I stopped at a Alloy Wheel shop today (by accident thinking it was the MOT shop), talked about your Volk wheel order and the special need for lightness due to the Insight's fuel economy etc etc.

If it helps make you feel better, the salesman advised that Volk are one of the best available but are very expensive. How much are you paying? This guy didn't even try and sell me any wheels, telling me that I would be better off importing them from the USA (given the current £/$ exchange rate). Can you imagine how long that would take! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new wheels; let us know what happens.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm paying 1480.00 for the rims. That includes lightweight wheel lugs, special titanium color, and shipping.

Looks like my rims are now supposed to be coming in at the end of Feb. Mackin in Japan who makes the rims is were the problem is.

The place where I ordered my rims has the best prices.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally the rims are in the US and should be delivered today. 26 weeks later!

I'll post pics once they are on the car. Plan on a dyno test some time next week.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be sure to weigh them before you mount tires on them as well. A UPS scale would be best. You can usually go in with one wheel and say you want to weigh it for future reference in case you ship them later this week. Obviously you do not intend to, but they don't know this. Anyway, that's best, but alternately you coudl stack all 4 on a quality bathroom scale and then divide the total reported weight by 4. Every so often wheel manufacturers are a little optimistic about the true weight of their wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts