Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just charged and discharged the battery on my 00 Insight using the HA charger.

It works great however the voltage resolution of its display is not precise enough. It is impossible to see small but important changes in voltage.

The only other way to measure the voltage while charging is to remove all of the covers and metal panels then stick your hand with an external digital multimeter probe into the IMA area... dangerous and cumbersome.

I strongly recommend that the charger's volt meter be increased to read 0.1V resolution or test points be added to the face of the charger where an external digital multimeter can safely and conveniently read the voltage to see what is happening (without having to remove panels).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible to wire into the charger a set of leads for an external meter of some sort ? (would need to be connected to external meter prior to connecting to car for safety).
Yup, that's what I will have to do... but logically one would think a $400 grid charger would have the feature or extra-cost-option to see the voltage changes in the required level of detail.

Seems like the ball was dropped on this important requirement as monitoring voltage changes and direction are needed as it is the job at hand of the grid charger.

In my case it often took 7 hours to see a 1 volt change due to the granularity. Was the pack increasing or decreasing or fluctuating during this blind wait?? No one knows!!!! Was I wasting my time during the 7 hours? Only a step up at the end of the 7 hours would confirm it was worth the wait.

l love the charger and its charging but the voltage monitoring is near useless.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Yup, that's what I will have to do... but logically one would think a $400 grid charger would have the feature or extra-cost-option to see the voltage changes in the required level of detail.

Seems like the ball was dropped on this important requirement as monitoring voltage changes and direction are needed as it is the job at hand of the grid charger.

In my case it often took 7 hours to see a 1 volt change due to the granularity. Was the pack increasing or decreasing or fluctuating during this blind wait?? No one knows!!!! Was I wasting my time during the 7 hours? Only a step up at the end of the 7 hours would confirm it was worth the wait.

l love the charger and its charging but the voltage monitoring is near useless.
My charger, an older HA model, has exterior leads that I plug into a voltmeter. I think Jeff eliminated that in his newer models for safety and liability reasons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree,Silver. I also have the "discharge ready" version of the H A charger but it seems that, after talking to Jeff, i am not quite "discharge ready", as i still need a plug to interface the cable to my discharger then still need a dvm somewhere to monitor the discharge. I seem to be missing the picture somewhere. I talked to Jeff and he tried to explain it to me. So, does anybody have a diagram of the layout using the HA charger and a lightbulb discharger? The dvm on my charger doesn't work unless plugged in 120V.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Mountain Driver said, it seems like the lawyers screwed it up again.

I just discharged and found a lot of small headaches.

I'll discharge again next spring and build a break out box that will do the things that are lacking. It will splice in the Charger's harness so that the existing twist connector can be used.

Features:
- Switch Battery Input from Load to Charger (with LED's showing what is source)
- Fan Pass through
- Test Points to battery Inputs... probably banana plugs or just AC power outlet
- AC outlet for connecting lighting loads

Too bad HA does not sell one with the twist plugs... I'd buy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts