Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Insight CVT with 70k miles on it and I am 3rd owner. On my way to work one morning I start at the bottom of a tall hill from a dead stop pulling into 60mph traffic.
Using the seconded button on the RPM’s are around 4 to 5 thousand when I got to 60 almost at the top of the hill the gas engine bucks and stalls preceded by the check engine light? I pull over and the engine is still running so I try to go but now the engine will not go past 4 thousand RPM but I make it down the hill and to work. And on my way home the car runs fine? I had the code pulled and it was p1259 VTEC failure. Then I replaced the VTEC solenoid valve and oil pressure switch assembly and still have a problem (yes I checked the oil level). Any help please.

It’s fixed. After the original post that Monday me and my bother in law ran every test we could, except swapping with a known good ECU so off to the dealership. I took the mechanic for a test drive on the interstate showed him the problem told him what I had already done to the car. So the next day they call and said it’s fixed they had to reflash the ECU.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Code P1259

Why did you change the parts,without doing any diagnostics tests.It could be a intermitant fault,that lies in another system on the engine.If you did do the diagnostics test - what were the results?Being the 3rd owner,do you know the repair history of the car? Have you pulled off the valve cover off and examine the engine valve train,if so what did you find?

Sorry for so many questions but if i was doing the repair this is what needed so i can start the repair.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
vtec

Did you have the same problem under the same scenerio? Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the system and see if the same problem happens and read the fuel pressure.

Willie

·
Registered
364 Posts
Diagnostic, P1259

Hi Clay,
P1259: A problem in the VTEC pressure switch circuit or VTEC solenoid valve circuit.

If you have the service manual, the diagnostic procedure starts on page 6-6. The diagnostic is lengthy, yeah... Looks like you did replace the primary parts that could be suspect. Need to check oil pressure. Also, the VTEC solenoid valve assembly has an o-ring gasket w/attached filter, if it's clogged you'll have the same issue.

Although you should follow the diagnostic, it sounds like the problem started when you stressed the engine doing a tall hill trying to catch up with speedy rush hour traffic. Could be some sediment loosened and found it's way to the valve assembly o-ring gasket/filter. Regular engine oil & filter changes count too. If a previous owner didn't do their regular oil & filter changes that could account for sluge build up. :? Jack

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have been having the error code come up. I realised it was happening when i went very fast around a roundabout. might be the low oil pressure due to the roundabout?!

i could clear the code with peters OB2 device but it would keep coming back.

I took the valve off and the mesh seemed pretty clear to me, i have a spare engine and inspected that valve also and that mesh looked less clear and its done 25% of the miles of my fitted engine.

I took the assembly apart and cleaned it best i could, it was very oily after 200k miles but generally seemed OK.

I took the sensor off and gave that a clean also.

Re-fitted the unit and took it for a long drive throwing it around some roundabouts and now the fault seems to have gone. I will keep and eye on it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
What is a vtec oil pressure assembly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts