Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
I would have one of those tomorrow.

As I retire in 2014 I'll have to hope they are in production by then, and I'll buy myself my first ever brand new car and treat myself to one.

I'm sure there must be room in there for a few more lithium batteries. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Anyone think the VW looks like an Insight? :)
Looks just like someone tossed together the prints from the EV1 and the Gen 1 Insight to me ;) :D

When it comes down to the aerodynamic factors, there is no way of avoiding the 'we all look alike' factor. ...at least until we have electric cars and we don't need to have a chunk of space in the front used by an engine, then more cars will look like what Aptera has in its design bucket. IMHO

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I continued reading this. The 0.8 liter diesel engine isn't likely to pass US emission standards due to the testing procedure for diesel engines here in the states. ...so unless they strap one super catalytic converter on the engine that has never been used before I have a feeling that it won't pass, but we can hope. We really need emissions reform for diesel engines so they can be rated the same way as gasoline passenger cars are rated, by mile, instead of emissions per gallon!!

This is a very interesting car, I'm sure we'll have all the 'auto experts' complaining over the 14.3 second 0-60 or the ~2.5 gallon(10 liter) gas tank, even though it gets 670km or 402 miles with that tank.

With the center seating, there wouldn't need to be a left-hand and right-hand drive, it could be one car internationally which would be a really cool change to current cars. I'd really like to see how the 'no-doors, climb through the roof' design works because it looks like quite a step up to get inside. Not workable for those who need to transport someone who uses a wheelchair from time to time, but then again it is a 2-seater with standard 2 seater limitations as well.

I'd love this car, although my head can't get around the lightweight carbon fiber/plastic body that wants me to remove the passenger seat and load that section with lithium cells and turn this into the maddest PHEV ever built, hopefully with the ability to run 100% electric on the highway. It says that the motor gives power throughout the drive range and can be disconnected from the gas engine, but I wonder if it can be disconnected and provide enough power for 55mph highway travel with 10kW. Then again I'm sure with the .8 liter in top gear with loads of electric it's probably going to be fed diesel by a figurative eye dropper anyway. We shall see what happens, worst case scenario, the diesel doesn't pass in the US and they don't implement a gas engine to bring it here, one could dream of importing one from overseas and adding the batteries for a full EV. If I can get still get a few hybrid packs of 250 5.5Ah high power NiMh cells for less than $500 I'd be game for that idea too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Says an initial run of 250... seems to imply more could be made, but I bet it won't be much of a seller with all that carbon fiber $$$.

If they'd just make this exact car out of stamped steel it'd weigh a bit more but still get amazing mileage and sell like hotcakes.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Since carbon fiber is labor intensive, I am not sure why they cant farm that out to a country with lower labor costs.

Says an initial run of 250... seems to imply more could be made, but I bet it won't be much of a seller with all that carbon fiber $$$.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Those are impressive design specs. There are many design/technical solutions that are not radical and have been tried and tested (you know where).

However, VW has gone further with these ideas:
1. Radical width reduction to 1200mm (Insight 1695mm). They claim a CdA of 0.199m^2 (Insight 0.46m^2).
2. Narrow Michelin low resistance tires ("Energy Saver": front 95/60 R16, rear 115/70 R16). Assume these are specially for the car.
3. No doors. That saves a lot of weight and stiffness.

My most serious practical concern is how other road users would react to such a narrow (and low) vehicle in front - without much acceleration - especially where the road/lane is wide. Would people try to squeeze past?

Be great to see one for real!

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Here is a weird comparison if you think about it. If the $100k 260mpg xl1 was 1/4 the price and mpg, it would be similar to the insight (70mpg/$20k)

So if you think about the amount of dollars to get amount of mpg, the insight was a better deal. Not sure how long it would take to pay off the fuel savings vs the 100k cost of the car. :D

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Here is a weird comparison if you think about it. If the $100k 260mpg xl1 was 1/4 the price and mpg, it would be similar to the insight (70mpg/$20k)

So if you think about the amount of dollars to get amount of mpg, the insight was a better deal. Not sure how long it would take to pay off the fuel savings vs the 100k cost of the car. :D
In that 100k miles, the XL-1 will use $1385 (!) worth of gas at 260mpg, where the I1 will use $5143 at 70 mpg. So no, not a very good deal... you would need to drive 1,998,738 miles with gas at 3.60 to make the XL-1 worth it over an I1 (assuming a 75 price difference... the I1 at 25k for inflation).

On a side note, a standard civic will use $11613 worth of gas (31mpg on fuelly). The XL-1 would need 688,889 miles driven to make up its price difference with the Civic (assuming the same as above, but the Civic is 20k... gotta make it nicely appointed enough to meet the standard of the I1 and XL-1).

EDIT: just realized it's even worse because it's a diesel and fuel is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Motor Trend June '13 article on VX1

There is a nice write up in June's issue of Motor Trend. More details and pictures of the engine etc.

Cd = 0.189, the EU combined mileage is 261 mpg. An estimate for our EPA tests would be about 209 mpg. I could live with that if I could afford it. :)

2013 Volkswagen XL1 First Drive - Motor Trend

VW will build 250 but none of the first run will be sold in the USA. [Old news.]

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Unless something like this will be available at a reasonable price ans to the US market, we should protest.

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Dont get me started on Elios motors. Their prototype car has a geometro drive train and dash. Last I checked the geo was already fuel efficient, we expected a new 3 wheel eco machine.

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts
So...A geo metro with a turbo?

Got one on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
This one makes more "cents".
Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

Yep, I'd like to see it with inboard shocks and aero shaped suspension tubes or coverings for the A arms. Wheel pants would be nice. It will be interesting to see what engine etc it has. Maybe a blown Subaru Impreza WRX?!! :badgrin:

Overall it looks a lot like a modified Locost. The guys on locostusa.com were eying it for ideas for a high mileage Locost.

And if you want to stay with VW,
AutoSpeed - The World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car

Willie
This was one of the prototypes that ended up being the XL1.
Both are interesting though. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts