Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been raining, so it didnt take much to coat the whole section of driveway.

There was some oil pooled on the engine undertray, but thats all I could see. Coolant is full, engine oil still at normal.

Will report what I find tomorrow when I get the car on jack stands. I hope its something minor.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
Maybe from a different vehicle?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately, it was from my insight.

seems to have a slow leak out the bottom half moon section seal of the crank pulley... I tightened the oil pan bolts, they were all loose

bottom bolt of that rear cam tensioner housing thingy was loose a few turns, definitely leaking out of that, lots of evidence

the entire rear valve cover area weeping oil

Unrelated, the rear engine belly pan bolts have worked themselves loose, lost two on the road, the other two were on their last threads ready to drop. Found a compatable bolt in my bag-o-bolts, and I'll go to ACE hardware looking for one new bolt.

I also noticed there are two brass bungs in the bottom intake plenum, both capped, about two inches apart... interesting

So looks like I'll need a reseal of oil pan (iirc this car just uses silicone, correct?) and maybe a half moon seal if it uses them (my ex miata used them in that location) new valve cover gasket, and I'll monitor the rear cam housing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I spoke with local NAPA, the oil pan is just the two half moon seals, and import gasket maker. Valve cover gasket isn't showing a schematic, does anyone know if I need o-rings or other parts for a complete valve cover job?

Both parts are 5 days away special order.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
Have you been adding oil from time to time since you owned the vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
There are 5 gaskets associated with the oil pan and a tube of Hondabond.

There is a front main seal and an
O-ring behind the crankshaft pulley.

While you are there you should consider an accessory belt and an idler pulley bearing.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are 5 gaskets associated with the oil pan and a tube of Hondabond.

There is a front main seal and an
O-ring behind the crankshaft pulley.

While you are there you should consider an accessory belt and an idler pulley bearing.

Scott
So there are the two half moon seals, front main seal, and crankshaft pulley O-ring... Whats the 5th gasket/seal?

I have a new belt ready to go in, I'll get an idler pulley bearing too.

Thank you for your help

Have you been adding oil from time to time since you owned the vehicle?
Nope not at all, but all of a sudden its gushing oil. I'm checking the oil before and after necessary driving, I'll have to start adding tomorrow for sure, it's going down noticeably.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
When doing an oil pan re-seal, there are the front and rear lip seals you describe, there is a rubber gasket where the oil pan top edge directs oil to the oil filter mount it looks like a double O-ring in our shop we refer to it as (the figure 8 gasket). Then there are 2 O-rings under the oil filter mount, the mount has 2 water lines attached to it. We do not disconnect the water lines we unscrew the nipple in the middle and leave the mount on the car when pulling the pan. Once the pan is back on the engine replace the 2 O-rings.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked with all my local autoparts stores for the front main seal, idler pulley bearing, crankshaft pulley o ring, figure 8 gasket, and oil filter mount o-rings, nothing came up in their system except the main seal, and no one in the country had it...

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
They may not have it, however I stock all of it.

If you would like me to send you a quote via PM/conversation I can do that. Also, I can ship USPS Priority.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, I'm finding everything on hondapartsnow and hondapartswholesaledirect, except the idler pulley bearing.

I am doing this repair with just basic hand tools, in a garage. I'm a slow mechanic, but I have 2.5 days coming soon I'll be able to work on the car. Is this an easy job, just time consuming?

Should I make sure I have any specific tool that would make the job easier?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
How did you find the parts online? Did you search?

Is it as hard job? I find it kind of basic, however I’ve been working on cars for 35+ years.
There might be a special tool or two.
Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, most of the parts I eventually found, but had to call the wholesale website, they gave me the part numbers of the idler pulley collars.

I have two different bearing pullers, little picks, a chisel, hopefully the seals wont give me a problem. I think I'll need a brass wire brush for the drill to get all the gasket material off the pan? or do you recommend a solvent of some kind? razor blade?

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you find the parts online? Did you search?

Is it as hard job? I find it kind of basic, however I’ve been working on cars for 35+ years.
There might be a special tool or two.
Scott
I pm'd you, I won't get the parts fast enough from the websites, let me know please.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
So I spoke with local NAPA, the oil pan is just the two half moon seals, and import gasket maker. Valve cover gasket isn't showing a schematic, does anyone know if I need o-rings or other parts for a complete valve cover job?
Not sure I'd be going to NAPA for Insight parts. Valve cover gasket just one piece Honda #12341-PHM-000 or Victor: 71-53757-00 or Beck Arnley: 036-1601 about $10

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure I'd be going to NAPA for Insight parts. Valve cover gasket just one piece Honda #12341-PHM-000 or Victor: 71-53757-00 or Beck Arnley: 036-1601 about $10
Thanks, I actually ended up cancelling that order, everything is oem including the sealant.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
I sent you a conversation regarding your list of parts.

Scott

Reactions: Number81

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im going shopping locally today (thursday) for the rest of what I need for the job.

Should I have some sort of wire wheel or solvent for sealant removal on the oilpan?

Ill need
-new oil
-emery cloth for the crank spacer groove
-something to hold crank pulley while impacting bolt off
-to charge up impact battery

1 - 20 of 29 Posts