Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find the on/off relay for the 12v power outlet and replace it with a jumper wire so it's always on but still going through the stock 10a fuse.

Does anybody know if there is a relay for this circuit and where to find it? I'm pretty sure it's in one of the main power/fuse panels and plan to track those down. I read the owner's manual and it doesn't make mention of the relays, only the fuses. Maybe the lid will have a diagram of the relays, hope so.

My main purpose is for powering my Garmin. I hate that it is always turning on/off with the key, it works much better when it's powered by an always on power source, that's how I used it in my truck.

I like the idea of running a parallel 12v outlet into the armrest storage box, that makes huge sense. This car is shy on the power outlets. I just want it to charge phones etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I studied the problem a bit and it was not easy to figure out which relay controlled the 12v power outlet circuit as they are not labeled. Consequently it was much easier to just run a separate fused line to one of the main hot wires coming into the main fuse panel.

Here are the pix I took of the process.

Pull the plastic portion of the dash out using a hook tool inserted into the small hole in the rear, just give it a good straight pull towards you and it will pop right out. The tabs are designed to be resnapped so no worries of breaking any tabs.

Remove the connector on the back of the outlet.

I then made up a new set of wires with a inline fuse holder that uses the same mini blade type fuses and put in the original sized fuse of 20A.

Then I fished the new wires to the outlet location which is quite easy to reach and connected them to the back of the outlet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then crimped in a tap connector to the hot wire coming into the fuse panel and connected my new wire hot side to it.

Then I put the ground wire lug under one of the fuse panel mounting bolts which connects directly to the dash support framework.

After all the wires are connected and you have tested the circuit just put the remaining dash pieces back in place and you're done.

Now the outlet stays on all the time so no more switching on an off of my Garmin and I can use the outlet as an emergency light outlet, or charge my phone in the car while I'm camping or whatever.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I then crimped in a tap connector to the hot wire coming into the fuse panel and connected my new wire hot side to it.

Is the white wire the hot wire?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That's what I thought but couldn't tell 100% from the pic. In some ways I actually like the 12 volt outlet shutting off. For instance, in the winter and early spring I used a 12 volt electric heated seat cushion. It was nice to have it turn on and off without messing with the switch. On the other hand it would be nice to have the ability to charge my phone while the vehicle isn't in use. I think I'm going to add a second 12 volt outlet and wire it in the manner you've shown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts