Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With respect to user cakley's 2003 article about installing a locking Vernier-style throttle cable (originally designed for big trucks) to operate the accelerator pedal manually:
Throttle Control Installed

which is referenced in the 2013 Common Topics/FAQ/DIYs/Info thread here:

links to photos appear to have gone stale.

Has anyone done a modification like this and willingly able to post some photos and advice?

When I considered what I'd like to see as features, I thought of a pistol grip and either a deadman's throttle that deactivates when let go of or a "breakaway" linkage that disconnects during a panic move.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I had one of these in an ancient 1968 motorhome. It worked ok, and was easy to cancel, but not nearly as easy as touching the brake or clutch. Traffic was also lighter then, and I was younger and stupider.

I use cruise control on my Insights.

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found a site still advertising "2000-2006 Honda Insight Complete Rostra Cruise Control Kit"

which incidentally, for installation instructions, points to a thread here (also reported missing):

I don't have another installation of a 3rd-party cruise control left in my body (back in my 20s I installed a first-generation electronic cruise control, purchased from Sears Roebuck & Co.(!), on my wife's brand new 1977 4-cyl. Chevrolet Vega(?)).

It behaved as I suspect Insights w/o turbos behave: on hills, the cruise put the accelerator to the floor while the speedometer indicated rapidly falling speed anyway.

I'm looking for something simpler and less expensive. At the moment I use a child's golf putter, with the head in hand and the rubber grip on the pedal. I have driven 100 miles of straight 4-lane divided with this, but I'd prefer something attached and locking but still adjustable.

Like this classic, "Universal Locking Vernier Throttle Cable," on ebay:

I've also learned that not all throttle cables are created equal in that most of these "Bowden cables" are used for "pulling" and can get away with an inner cable made of twisted or braided wire. If substantial "pushing" is required, the inner cable is solid, or multiple solid, wire. (This probably accounts for earlier reports on IC about the part being "heavy.")

I would prefer a pistol grip, I think, which brings to mind my recent purchase of a snake grabber like this to remove an excess snake I suddenly in the basement:

The tongs is the equivalent of a non-flexible Bowden cable.

I suspect the elements of a solution lie in the design of this latter tool. I imagine an outer "housing" made of small-diameter PVC, softened, bent, and routed from comfortable operating position to actuating position directly in-line with pedal. Pulling on the handle--"somehow"--pushes on a sufficiently solid inner core to do the movement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conceivably the idea of a sheathed cable could be replaced with a "passive hydraulic" line, similar to brake lines which rely only on human muscles (and a suitably sized master cylinder) to apply force at a distance.

You'd have to admit, seeing an Insight with a master cylinder mounted in the passenger compartment, for whatever purpose, would be interesting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How about a redneck low cost adjustable cruise control? Blip the gas pedal or give it a kick and it falls out! Stores neatly along side driver's seat. Build and use at your own risk!!! LOL!

CruiseControl.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a redneck low cost adjustable cruise control? Blip the gas pedal or give it a kick and it falls out! Stores neatly along side driver's seat. Build and use at your own risk!!! LOL!

View attachment 87878
Thank you very much: JUST what I was looking for.

I was puzzled at first but I guess it's just wedged between pedal and seat front. I'm liking it, and can already see purchasing a color-coded set of five for different cruising speeds from "an international seller" no doubt.

I also remembered I had a "closet auger." (As in "water closet auger.") AKA as a "bowl snake." The nice thing about it, as designed the "hand-operated" end is a long stiff rod, just what's needed for the pedal side, and includes a long stiff tube. So it would be operated in reverse. Rinse it off before installing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts