Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried ntk, bosch, and a cheapo, none of them let me get over 60mpg. I need the oem replacement.

180 dollars plus shipping is my budget, which is why I'm not just buying from hondapartsnow.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but maybe one of you is a honda technician, and gets 50% off dealer cost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your cheapest bet will be car-part.com it will be used but you can score major deals on that site...ALWAYS NEG. WITH THE JUNK YARDS ON PRICE.
CAR-PART.COM

·
Registered
140 Posts
Search all the years also 2000-2006 on car-part.com you should look for a low milage one.This is the best cheap OEM option.

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
I submit that the mileage is something other than the O2 sensor, especially if you've tried a new NTK. Driving style? That's what my problem was on my first Insight.

Sam

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a downstream/secondary o2, I need the pre cat.

I submit that the mileage is something other than the O2 sensor, especially if you've tried a new NTK. Driving style? That's wht my problem was on my first Insight.

Sam
This is my second insight. I started a thread about how I couldnt even come remotely close to mileage from my first insight, driving style hasn't changed. I'm getting the rich fuel mixture CEL for primary o2 sensor, and I can smell the rich mixture even at idle. After 40% throttle or so, I can smell raw fuel in the cabin. No fuel leaks, at least from the injector seals, rail, regulator...

Stop throwing parts at an problem. Diagnosis the issue first.
There may be more than one problem, but the primary o2 is definitely one of them. I haven't thrown any parts at the car, done free maintenance, and purchased new fluids, and returned the other o2. I agree with you 100%.

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
^ +1 This is the correct O2 sensor.

Check your plugs and coils. Move the coils around and see if the error codes move with them.

Sam

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, I will try that one, I feel good about it, since there are gen1 insight reviews saying yay.

Thanks everyone, and i'll take a look at the plugs and coils

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
The NTK is the original OEM sensor. (IIRR #24301)
Check where the fuel line enters the engine compartment by the crossbar. Some have developed a fuel leak in that area.

·
Registered
140 Posts
NGK PART# 5223
DENSO PART# 5344
I would strongly recomend doing this.
Search the internet and ebay serious deals are out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After a 20% off discount code, this website is really hard to beat.

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?PN=0+2219+4294944808&N=0&VN=4294954005+4294962797+4294953904+4294967027+4294960560&refType=Sort+By&refValue=Price+Low+to+High&Ns=price|0&No=10&Npp=10

How long did it run with a bad primary O2 sensor? If it was for a while, I would highly suspect a plugged primary and probably secondary catatlyic converter. The above site also sells catatlyic converters with 20% off discount codes. It was the cheapest place I could find and they offer a warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long did it run with a bad primary O2 sensor? If it was for a while, I would highly suspect a plugged primary and probably secondary catatlyic converter.
Doesn't the cat get clogged from too much lean burn? Or does it also get clogged from too rich? I thought the car puts itself into stoich to clean out the cats.

I'm not sure how long, previous owner was not getting good mileage either (mid 50's to low 60's) clogged cats would also explain the lack of power/mpgs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check where the fuel line enters the engine compartment by the crossbar. Some have developed a fuel leak in that area.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just checked, all dry. I did discover a completely unrelated leak from the block heater installed by the PO... always something. I should have kept my old crappy car. I could get over 100mpg no problem. battery was completely shot, but everything else was cherry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doesn't the cat get clogged from too much lean burn? Or does it also get clogged from too rich? I thought the car puts itself into stoich to clean out the cats.

I'm not sure how long, previous owner was not getting good mileage either (mid 50's to low 60's) clogged cats would also explain the lack of power/mpgs.
A cat will clog from a rich condition far quicker than a lean condition. The unburnt fuel combined with the high heat damages the catalyst inside. Lean burn might be hard on the catalysts, but no where near as hard as the rich condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts