Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am looking for a first generation Insight. Preferably a cherished post March 2001 registered UK car.
The car is to replace my much loved 1998 Almera GTI, owned since 1999 (time for a change!!), and previously sold Stylus Kit car.
I am located in Ormskirk Lancashire and prepared to travel for the right car. I am in a position to buy.
Any information or leads much appreciated.
Many thanks Martin

·
and two dogs
338 Posts
Greetings!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the search and keep checking every day - straight cars go fast. Check here also as other I1 owners post details as they see them.

Regarding your search for a car that qualifies for zero road tax, what matters is when the car was registered, so some 2000 model year cars qualify too. Imagine my expression when I saw that the citrus car we went to buy had 'NIL' written on the disk :)

Vehicles registered on or after 1st March 2001 (up to 100g CO2) = NIL:
DVLA tax table

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you and thanks for the tip. I have only ever seen one in the flesh. It was locally on a back road between Ormskirk and Southport on the coast. It was many years ago, can’t remember the colour it was the rear “spats “? (Wheel covers) and Kamm tail that struck me.
Luckily I have a good daily driver for now and access to other cars so am planning to find a good one as I hope to keep the car for a good few years. My only experience of no standard propulsion is this my Dads car http://www.locomobile.plus.com/images/albidx.htm
Thanks again Martin

·
and two dogs
338 Posts
Rare sight in the UK

Martin,

We haven't seen another on the road since we bought one!

Mind you, the DVLA's figures suggest approx 220 in the UK and Peter Perkins (see his very useful Buyers Guide) believes there are only 100 UK spec cars! These say "HONDA" on the left side of the glass rear panel rather than "HYBRID" for reasons that escape me, and are manuals, have headlamp adjustment, rear fog light and a cubby hole with flap under the radio/cassette).

The Kammheck ('Kamm') tail is one of the reasons why the I1 achieves such a good CDA. The rear of the car is of course more important aerodynamically than the front - keeping the airflow over the car smooth, and then allowing it to reflow behind the car with minimum turbulence is critical - hence the narrow rear track and rising undertray, like the Citroen SM.

Wheel covers are free MPG, but I guess manufacturers want to show off those big and flash (i.e. aerodynamically messy and high rolling resistance) alloys that justify a nice price uplift!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Marian & Per

I contacted Peter after seeing his http://www.solarvan.co.uk/ site. And he was kind enough to point me in the direction of this forum.

Citroen SM – Esq. Style and Jap reliability can’t be bad. I recon you would have to be brave to run an SM, stunning car but a Citroen crossed with a Maserati? One of my first cars was a MG Midget (dissolved, literally) Reliant Scimitar (refused to dissolve, at least no rust to gaze at while waiting for a tow) Fiat 127 (fab but that dissolving thing again).
First Jap car was a micra CVT. Supposedly they go as fast in reverse a forwards. I can testify they go quickly backwards, but don’t handle so good. Great away from the lights, rubbish MPG.

Martin

·
and two dogs
338 Posts
Corgi science!

Hi Martin.

If you've talked to Peter you're off to a great start.

Just for a bit of fun, I rowed up the SM alongside the I1...not sure if anyone has done this before!

The SM did have a bad reputation, but is now regarded as a more sensible purchase than it used to be, provided the necessary rear timing chain mod and solid valve swaps have been done. The driving experience, with self centering steering and hydraulic assisted brakes, is claimed to be easier for modern drivers to master than back in the early 70s. My grandfather was a big Citroen fan but I've not driven one. The editor of 'Octane' (David Lillywhite) is restoring one at the moment.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts