Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather here went into the 50Fs. So did my mpg.

54.5mpg on my 26 mile ride home after getting fuel.

I had been getting 10 mpg less with temps below 30F for weeks.

The A/C came on. I had the system in Auto with the temp set at 69. The sun heated the interior so I had cooling on recirculate air for a while.

At a red light I hit full Off on the climate control and had Auto Stop for a full long light.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Standard Operating Proceedure for an I2.

My favorite option are the door visors. This allows me to raise all 4 windows to about 2 inches below the top. The visors allow for smooth airflow around the car at highway speeds. Yielding passenger comfort with climate control off and a small increase in mpg (around 0.1 or 0.2 I'd guess, maybe more).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Scraped ice in the morning.
Almost broke my record commute mpg in the afternoon.
Strange days.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Scraped ice in the morning.
Almost broke my record commute mpg in the afternoon.
Strange days.
Was there sun on the hood during the day?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I just open the front 2. Works good for several months a year. When I worked night shift during the summer I just drove with the windows rolled down at night. Ive seen the AC take a 5-7 mpg hit. The heater about a 3 mpg hit.

Standard Operating Proceedure for an I2.

My favorite option are the door visors. This allows me to raise all 4 windows to about 2 inches below the top. The visors allow for smooth airflow around the car at highway speeds. Yielding passenger comfort with climate control off and a small increase in mpg (around 0.1 or 0.2 I'd guess, maybe more).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Temperatures are starting to moderate some, finally. Getting rain tonight, instead of snow, and hopefully will start to wash the salt and sand off the roads. Still have about 2 feet of snow on the yard, but it will go quickly if this keeps up.

Spent the day taking sand out of the old truck box frame. Should have taken a picture of the stuff that dropped out from the frame and the rest of the underside of the thing. Made a big pile of dirt.

Then decided to wash the Insight. Looks better. The warmer temperatures just arrived this week, but the MPG has been slowly moving up to 47 on this tank anyway. If we ever get daytime temperatures into the upper 40s or even near 50, MPGs should be able to get back to normal. It did get to 42 degrees this afternoon. At least the trend is good. Last week, our highs were only in the 20s with morning lows in the single numbers above and below zero.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Was there sun on the hood during the day?
Yup, I did the park the nose towards sunset thing. 16°C engine temp at start in 9°C weather. Solar engine block heating :)

Last fillup this morning was the first of the year that had better FE than 4.0 l/100 km (59 mpg) measured by the pump.
MID said 3.8 for the tank, was even at 3.7 yesterday but had to drive into a storm this morning.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yup, I did the park the nose towards sunset thing. 16°C engine temp at start in 9°C weather. Solar engine block heating :)

Last fillup this morning was the first of the year that had better FE than 4.0 l/100 km (59 mpg) measured by the pump.
Am lovin this solar block heating! Gave me better mpg this morning. First morning with sunshine after days of overcast, and little change in temperature.

Could the better FE than pump measurement be due to filling the gas tank to a slightly higher level than at the prior fillup? ....The distance from the top of the gasoline fluid level to the top of the tank, must be the same at both fillups; in order to have an accurate reading of the amount of gasoline the car has used.

Mine is rarely the same, and one may notice a sinesoidal pattern to my mpg numbers at Fuelly as a result. Another result, is that the difference between the car measured mpg and the pump measured mpg can vary a lot, from about 0.5 to 4.5 with an average of 2.9 across 5 fill ups (when measured about 2 years ago).

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've been enjoying high MPG all winter with no heater or AC, now we are hitting the 90s and the AC is going on full time. Bye bye good winter time MPG and hello constant AC use in Phoenix in the summer.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats pretty impressive. Maybe not wearing your seatbelt is the key? :evil:

The secret to mpg is coasting. More coasting, more mpg. I usually add 2 mpg to my totals by coasting to the stop light where I live.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It is impressive because it is only 7 miles on the ODO, now if it reads that way at 170 then I'll be impressed! :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is impressive because it is only 7 miles on the ODO, now if it reads that way at 170 then I'll be impressed! :)
Correct. My commute home is mostly downhill. I left the office a little late so there was minimal traffic and I managed to hit almost every light when green. Just did a little pulse and glide when I could and kept the climate control off.

This is my record commute MPG. I'm hoping I can see even better numbers as temperatures rise.

And Cobb... Har har. The seatbelt light is on because I'm parked. Lately I've been turning the car off in drive and switching to park afterwards so I don't refire the engine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Perfect example why everyone should drive down hill. Uphills are not MPG friendly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here is my best round trip to the ocean, and best tank fill, just prior to fill up. Both from last summer, prior to the update.

BTW I had my seat belt on all the way and went uphill as well as down :).

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gotta be liking those numbers... excellent!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts