Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - we have an '03 with 56,000 miles. The dealer changed the oil, stripped the oil pan plug threads, then replaced the oil pan. When replacing the oil pan apparently there is a coolant line that has to be disconnected and reconnected. When they did this they didn't get all of the air purged from the cooling system, and the engine overheated and warped the head. They removed the head and sent it out to be milled. ALL of this work has been done on the dealer's dime. My question is, how trustworthy will this engine be after having been overheated, and having the head removed, milled, and reinstalled?

Thanks - Paul in Minnesota

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,777 Posts
warped head.

Insight?........CVT or manual?

How did you determine that the engine had been "overheated".
Did the "gauge" go to the RED?

The Insight has such a good cooling system, they are hard to overheat.
(Got a good horror story at "Turbochaged Insight" thread)

Nothing wrong with having the head milled. It should be as good as new. Did they check the block for warpage?

Willie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a CVT. The gauge was all the way into the red zone. The car was immediately shut off, and towed to the dealer. Don't know if they checked the block. This has all been done at the dealer that has serviced the car since it was new.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Overheat - Head damage

I had mine overheat last month. drove it for 5 miles before I pulled over and had it towed to the dealer.

First the story was a hose between the engine and radiator blew. Took 2 weeks of shipping but they replaced it. Then the thermostat froze and that caused the hose to blow. Took 1 day, but they replaced it... now it still overheats and they says the head is warped...

5 minutes of overheating... anyone think this is realistic?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,777 Posts
Are you loseing coolant?
Did they "pressure check" the engine for coolant loss?
The only way they can tell if the head is warped, is if they had the head removed.
More than likely the "coating" on the headgasket has been dislodged because of the excessive heat, if it did overheat.
(details posted on "turbocharged Insight" thread a long time ago.)

Without any coolant loss............No overheating.

Willie

·
Registered
344 Posts
Make sure they magnafluxed it to check for cracks. Aluminum heads on most cars are notorious for cracking.
I know that an Insight is not "most cars."
For the second year, I have left my winter radiator block, lower grill opening filler, and hot air intake mod installed. No overheating issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No leaks. passes pressure tests.

Dealer suspects the head is warped and the gasket definitely blew (the engine doesnt run well - probably full of water-oil). I've towed it from the dealer to my place and am debating what to do.

Dealer's best case was $2000 and possible worst case $4000. I think I can get the work done anywhere else cheaper... just gotta find somewhere. Any recommendations on anyone in the san diego area.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,777 Posts
If the head gasket is definately blown, and no coolant loss then you will definately have either oil in the coolant or water in the oil.

Never heard of a overheating problem without a coolant loss.
Is there coolant comeing out the exhaust pipe?
Pull the dip stick to the oil and take a look. Does it look "foamy".
Remove the radiator and you should be able to see any oil floating around.

A compression check will also show a definate head gasket problem. What was the psi readings on each cylinder.?

What dealer did you go to?
I highly recommend Tipton Honda in El Cajon.
See "Ray" in the service dept. He is the hybrid gru.

Willie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts