Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buy a 2000. The battery has another 5 years on warranty, and I think the powertrain has another 2. Should I spend another $1100 for the Honda plus 3 year bumper to bumper warranty?
Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently checked with the site admin Ben cause I was gonna do a poll on just this topic. I've been pondering this question and have checked into cost and where the best place to get it. My local dealer quoted me $996/ 3 years and an on line company reccomended ( See http://www.danielcurran.com/Insight/InsightWarranty.htm ) was $1100. My used 2000 Insight is a Honda certified so my warranty is 48 months / 48K miles but I only have a small portion left. I biggest concern is the 144V battery. What do others think :? How many of you have an extended warranty :?:

·
Registered
200 Posts
The battery pack and IMA components are warranted to either 75K or 85K miles, I can't remember which, separate from the normal manufacturer's warranty. That should weigh a little in the thought about whether or not to buy an extended warranty. I did buy the extended warranty to extend the normal manufacturer's warranty to a full 75K miles, but so far I have had no reason to need to utilize it in more than three years of spirited Insight trekking.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mpg

Hey Hambone, are you getting 55mpg because you like to think of your Insight as a mini-Ferrari. Or is that what I should expect to get?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, when you're thinking of buying any kind of extended warranty, is that the people selling them are not charities. They expect to cover the repair costs, and make a healthy profit on top.

My opinion, especially if you'll be doing any of the maintenance & repair work yourself, is that you're a lot better off putting the warranty money in the stock market, or maybe in lottery tickets :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: Mpg

harvgill said:
Hey Hambone, are you getting 55mpg because you like to think of your Insight as a mini-Ferrari. Or is that what I should expect to get?
You should be able to do much better than I do, because yes, I do think of my Insight as a mini-Ferrari!! :D

I tend to average in excess of 80mph on the Interstate, and tend to accelerate fairly aggressively in most instances, so I don't think 55mpg is too bad considering I don't really "try" to get great gas mileage. That having been said, I have experienced long trips with much better mileage, with my best being a 1,200 mile trip with a trip average of 73.1 mpg. In once 200 mile stretch on that trip I got 79mpg, so the lack of great mileage for my Insight is completely down to my right foot, not any deficiency in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts