Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[mod edit: added paragraph breaks for readability]

My '00 Insight with 42K miles, on its 2nd battery pack since ~ 32K miles in early '04, hasn't been driven much in the past year (just 620 miles).

Yesterday I started the car, which utilized the under-hood starter, and both the check engine and IMA lights came on immediately after starting the car. The IMA showed nothing in charge level and it was not taking a charge. I shut the engine down and reset the ECM via pulling the #18 fuse. I then restarted the car and both lights came back on right away. I shut the car down and arranged to go to the Honda dealer earlier today.

I started the car up today, and the check engine light came back on, and stayed on all the way to the dealer, but the IMA light didn't come on at all this time. However, the IMA started up the car today and took a charge, and quickly recalibrated up to full charge. It stayed full all the way to the dealer. Also, the EPS light came on and stayed on for a few minutes (it did it today although not yesterday), and then went off and stayed off.

I left the car at the dealer, since the last IMA recall (BCM, I believe) wasn't performed yet anyhow and they need to order the part. They claim they'll have the job done in 1 week. I spoke with the service writer by phone, and he indicated that there was no record for an IMA code and he didn't have the check engine code in front of him. He stated that the tech who worked on the car indicated that the 3 lights (check engine, IMA, and EPS) illuminated due to the IMA battery pack haven been weak. The tech claims to have seen this before, although the service writer wasn't aware of it.

Like myself, he believed that the ck. eng and IMA lights together would be due to a bad battery pack. I didn't ask him if I'd be charged for the diagnosis, and he didn't state whether I would be or not. So, should the troubleshooting/diagnosis cost, in case one is decided by the dealer to be passed on to me (due to the false positive check engine light with no apparent proof of IMA light) be covered under the extended IMA warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Under the IMA extended warranty your only covered for an IMA code of death. There are many potential IMA codes.

AFAIK its NOT "proof" positive that a check engine light (MIL) with an IMA light means that the particular IMA code is a battery failure code.

Reads more like a _LOW_ 12v battery (not the 144v) battery. And your first step of clearing the codes (an IMA reset) without _first_ retrieving them can be the same as shooting yourself in the foot.

Some codes can only be accurately diagnosed when their history of recurrance is known.

Remember Insight Central has no official affiliation with Honda Motor company. By my read you may owe them a diagnostic labor charge.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check engine and IMA lights

I charged the 12V battery with a battery charger just this morning, thinking maybe the same thing. The charger, after just 10 minutes of charging at 12 amps, showed the little Odyssey PC545 to be fully charged up prior to my starting the car today, yet the EPS light lit up for the first time yet, after start-up. I find it hard to believe that the fully charged 12V battery could've caused this first ever occurance. I suppose the check engine light may have stayed illuminated due to the last start from yesterday. If the little Odyssey was the problem, then I wonder how it would have had enough juice to even turn the engine starter two times yesterday. The dealer did check out the 12V battery today and reported that it had 271 cranking amps. That is normal, I believe, for the PC545.

I cleared the codes, thinking that if it's not a false positive, that they'd just quickly reappear soon thereafter anyhow, as that is what I've always experienced in the past with several different situations with other codes (O2 sensors;VSS;IMA;knock sensor)on this and my other Honda. Well the check engine light did reappear today, but to my surprise the IMA light didn't. This time it does look that I may have indeed shot myself in the foot. Or perhaps the dealer is right, and the battery pack was just unusually low in charge (due to my very low amount of use in the past year),but shown to be in good condition upon their testing procedure, and that these check engine and IMA lights are just false positives.

What price should I expect to pay for a diagnostic labor charge? I'm thinking 30 or 45 minutes of labor to just check for the 2 codes and the 12V battery check. I'm wondering what other people have payed.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Check engine and IMA lights

Mitch said:
<snip>...(due to my very low amount of use in the past year),but shown to be in good condition upon their testing procedure, and that these check engine and IMA lights are just false positives.
Well Mitch your asking sooo many different questions in one post I don't know where to start. And leaving out key information (as quoted above, 1st sentence) can easily negate all the eariler conclusions in this thread. But there is NO on board IMA "test" a dealer can perform. Nor can the Honda HDS scan tool forcast the remaining service life of a NiMh battery pack. On an IMA reset it either passes or fails (sets a code, IMA light stays on, or not).

Mitch said:
What price should I expect to pay for a diagnostic labor charge? I'm thinking 30 or 45 minutes of labor to just check for the 2 codes and the 12V battery check. I'm wondering what other people have payed.
Another impossible to answer question. Prices do vary greatly by area of the country and dealership costs vs. independent import specialty shops. Here in Knoxville you can find skilled independent shops to pull the codes and knowledgeably advise on their consequences (but not impart an Automotive Engineering degree) for around $30.

Start shopping. :!: ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insightful Trekker said:
Under the IMA extended warranty your only covered for an IMA code of death. There are many potential IMA codes.
By my read you may owe them a diagnostic labor charge.
It turned out that there was no charge for this diagnosis work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts