Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 2000 Honda insight about a week ago the only 2 problems that were specified to me was the IMA battery was dead and the a/c wasn't working. The IMA wasn't a problem. I easily bypassed it. The a/c she said needed replacing because she explained it was integral to the operation of the serpentine belt. I found out from some very helpful people in these forums that the a/c as well could be bypassed with a non-a/c belt configuration. But someone told me as long as the belt could freewheel it wouldn't need to be replaced or bypassed. When I got the car I started it to see what the belt did and it appeared to freewheel just fine. It squeeled a little every time I started it but once she got going it was real good.

I work as a salesman and I drive a lot. In the short time I've had her I've put on about 800 miles and everything seemed great. Then one day, in the morning I started her to start my day. Nothing too out of the ordinary. But I did need to turn the key a little extra long before she started. Happened a second time that day and then by the third time she just wouldn't start! Luckily I was at a family members house at least.

She wants to start. She's cranking but nothing happens. I'm not much of a mechanic. I first thought that it might be a battery problem because of the fact that I'm driving her with just the 12v. So I tried jumping her and the same thing was happening, only this time I held the key for a little while and she started shaking so I stopped. I hope I didn't hurt anything major. My wife noticed that when I tried starting her, the belt wasn't moving. Could that have something to do with it? If the a/c pulley was locked up finally could that stop her from starting? Any and all help would be enormously appreciated!!! Thank you all!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If the engine is turning over but the belt isn't moving, then yes, you have a problem. You need to bypass the compressor with the non-ac belt or get a new compressor.

Also, the idler pulley bearing could be locked, but given your previous thread, it's probably the ac compressor.

·
Vendor
190 Posts
I would suggest pulling the belt and seeing if it will start. Only leave the engine on long enough to verify that it starts and idles fine - DON'T leave it running with the belt off or you will overheat the engine as the water pump isn't turning! If it starts with the belt removed then you know you have a problem with one of the pulleys.

With the belt and engine off (and key safely in your pocket), you can try turning each pulley by hand to find the problem. If it's the A/C, you can bypass it with the shorter belt, but if its something else (idler, water pump) you will need to fix it. It could very well be that the idler pulley is bad and only was making noise with the A/C on due to the different stress on the belt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts