Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question time, I have a 2005 Japanese import Gen 1, when I wash the screen it doesnt wipe like most other cars I have owned. So is it broke? or is that the norm?

I dont want to try to fix something that isnt broke if you know what I mean, however if it is broke I would assume its either the switch or a relay:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Wash the screen? Do you mean when you pull the stalk and spray the windshield with washer fluid?

If so, yes, it doesn't automatically move the wipers after you do this, you have to turn them on yourself.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I've wondered about this too!

My yellow 2002 does automatically wipe after spraying.

Both my wife's 2000 and daughter's silver 2001 do not...

Hmm - I need to go look at the owner's manual!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I went out and verified that my 2002 Insight does indeed wipe during wash and for another swipe after the washer is released.

Then I pulled out the manual and discovered that it isn't supposed to!

I have a 2006 owner's manual that I grabbed from a junkyard car. Model year 2006 describes the wipers operating during wash.

Perhaps my signal stalk and controls were replaced in the past?

I'd guess sometime during the production run the wipe while washing feature was added, maybe all factory replacement units were updated to the newest spec?

Hopefully owners with 2003 and newer cars can chime in and let us figure out when the change was made.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mine is a december 2005, so it doesnt much closer to end of production than that. I will have to take a look and see if any relays are missing, but as its all in Japanese its hard work to say the least:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out and verified that my 2002 Insight does indeed wipe during wash and for another swipe after the washer is released.

Then I pulled out the manual and discovered that it isn't supposed to!

I have a 2006 owner's manual that I grabbed from a junkyard car. Model year 2006 describes the wipers operating during wash.

Perhaps my signal stalk and controls were replaced in the past?

I'd guess sometime during the production run the wipe while washing feature was added, maybe all factory replacement units were updated to the newest spec?

Hopefully owners with 2003 and newer cars can chime in and let us figure out when the change was made.
Well it turns out mine is a 2006 model year according to Honda so it must have something wrong with it bugger!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Huh.

My 2001 has always swept the windshield two or three times, immediately upon my pulling back on the stalk and spraying the glass. The rear wiper also operates immediately upon twisting the knob, but the "spray" is an embarrassing dribble (and that's from the factory, and it was designed that way)... :confused:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Huh.

My 2001 has always swept the windshield two or three times, immediately upon my pulling back on the stalk and spraying the glass. The rear wiper also operates immediately upon twisting the knob, but the "spray" is an embarrassing dribble (and that's from the factory, and it was designed that way)... :confused:
My 2005 also automatically wipes 2 or 3 times when it washes the windshield.

The rear nozzle on my car just shoots a thick stream of water (no spray at all) and wipes. I've been tempted to adjust the nozzle to wet tail gaters with it. But in S. Fla you would probably get shot at for doing that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
02 Insight MT... mine wipes when I pull the stalk to activate the wash feature, and one more wipe after release.

New owner, so I don’t know whether the washer/wiper system or controls have been changed.

- Park

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Strange, never knew any version of the Insight had that feature. Guess you learn something new every day!

My 2000's wipers don't automatically activate when you spray the windshield or hatch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
According to the Mitchell service manual and the Honda ETM, the wipers turned on with the washer starting in 2001. In the 2000 diagram, the WHT/BLK wire from the washer switch goes only to the washer pump motor. The 2001-2006 diagram shows the WHT/BLK also going to the CPU in the gauge assembly through the B5 terminal. And the CPU in the gauge assembly controls the wiper intermittent circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts