Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried putting 18in rims on and they will just basrely clear in the back. I may have to do some grinding of the wheel skirt lip. but the front...!

The inside is rubbing on the struts so it won't even coast down the driveway! Is it okay to put washers on the front to push them out a bit? I'm not sure how far. It's after midnight and I have to get some sleep. Any ideas? I was told anything that fits a civic.....At least I haven't driven on them, in case I have to send them back to tirerack. thoughts? suggestions? I really like these wheels and they aren't THAT heavy.
goodnight for now

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Washers would be a BAD idea. There are spacers made for such a modification. Loads will _NOT_ be correctly spread across the wheel and hub and may more easily break than with the spacers. The different offset will also add to this load factor.

Remember your changing the wheel offset with resulting changes in handling _AND_ alignment requirements. You'll need a specialty alignment shop to tweak it in for you else expect rapid uneven (usually an inner or outer edge) wear. AND since the Insight is so rare even such a specialty shop will probably want a couple of tries to get it just right.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understood

I wonder if anything larger than the factor 5.5 inch will fit? without trouble?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use 14"x6" rims on a daily basis in the summer and I raced with R-compound tires without any rubbing.
I test fit 14"x7" team dynamic Race 1 rims and they fit without rubbing.
But I didn't get a change to auto-x them to see if they may rub in extreme cornering loads.

13"x8" rims with 235/45R13 rims fit without rubbing if you don't use the rear spat (skirt). I raced a few auto-xes with those to the delight of spectators.

If you want awesome looking rims that are light and fast buy Kosei T1S 14"x6" they sell at tirerack. I have those rims and they weigh 9.5 lbs each.

Changing rims or tires does not affect your alignment. Changing suspension does. Don't use washers to shift the rim offset for reasons meansioned above. But you may use spacers available at wheel and tire stores if you only need to move the rim 5 mm or less to clear.
Personally i would not use rims if they required spacers to fit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
14x6 rims

Who makes the 14x6 and do they come in chrome? I drove to Tirerack yesterday to return the 18x7's. 5 hours each way and I saved $80 shipping minus gas! :!:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Many brands make 14"x6" rims that fit 4 bolt pattern hondas.
But most are heavy because they are made for looks not performance.
Kosei and Team Dynamics makes sweet light weight 14" rims but they are made for performance so i'm not surpriced I haven't seen them in chrome. The chrome coating adds a lot of weight.
IMO, the Insight looks awesome with black rims!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took care of it.

see my other new posts. Later! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts