Honda Insight Forum banner

Water damage from hurricane Irma!!! HELP!!!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Balto 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Honda Insight. I drove it through some deep water when hurricane Irma hit Florida (over the headlights). I drove it back to my house without a problem. I took out the seats and carpet to let them dry out. When I put it back together the following day is when I started having trouble. the car would start but would not run correctly and wouldnt drive, it would just sputter out. My friend hooked it up to a computer and got a number of misfires. I order new spark plug coils and also replaced all the spark plugs. I drained the gas tank (there was water in it) put in new gas along with some Seafoam. Also tried disconnecting the exhaust. It now idles just fine but when I try to hit the gas it works for a short time and then I loose control. It will stay in idle and not die but i cant give it any gas. It seems to be going into some sort of "limp mode". I really need some help and appreciate any insight i can get! lol. Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
Did you bother changing the oil? The symptoms you describe are very vague. It could be anything from ECU having water damage to a spun crank/cam bearing.

#3 ·
It's a G2 Balto. I doubt a cam bearing would be the issue. After driving through that much water, ALL your connectors under the hood have moisture in them.
You didn't run it long enough after going through the water to get them dry.
Going through that much water is plain DUMB.
Good Luck.

HTH
Willie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.