Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two weeks my water pump belt (no AC) was squealing at idle. Yes, it took me that long to get on top of things, besides, since I moved, I am barely driving even 5 mi/day. Knowing that the belt was oldish (~30k mi), I figured it was time to replace it, bought a new one, and got to work....Everything seems standard: belt is undamaged, looks fine, fine to keep for a spare in the trunk.

While putting the new belt on, I discover this (mods--these pics are small--but posted or linked is up to you)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/TierraAmor/chip1.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/TierraAmor/chip3.jpg
(sorry they are so bad; all I had was my cell phone!)

I pretty much stared in disbelief. What causes that? My friend says, "Well Lindsay, you DID hit a deer [a year and a half ago]." :roll: It's not a year and a half old. I would have noticed this; it is new damage.

So question 1 is: what the heck causes this? Do I have bigger problems than a chipped water pump pulley, as in, there is stuff flying around under my hood? To take inventory: nothing else unusual is wrong mechanically, except a rattling heat shield I just haven't gotten to yet. (Examined--needs a new corner welded on.) Everything under my hood is stock, and as mentioned, I have no AC. No mods, not jurry-rigged repairs, nothing like that.

I had to get home from where I was, and as the previous belt hadn't been so much as scratched, we shrugged and tightened up the new belt. Drove the two miles home and readjusted, per the shop manual. My belt is still squealing at idle. Sigh.

So question 2 is: do I have to replace it? If so, I haven't had to buy any real parts yet for this car, and frankly, I'm used to looking for parts for cars that are older than me, so this is a whole new game. How much is a water pump and where do I get it? Do I have to get it from the dealership?

Any advice would be great. If you need to know anything (no, I haven't measured the chip in milimeters) or want better pictures or anything, just let me know. Thanks, all.

Lindsay

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In terms of it's function it might be ok but I would be concerned that the pulley is now out of balance because of the missing chunk. The vibration of the out of balance pulley may cause other issues in the long run including damaging the bearing.

It's a tough call but to be on the safe side it should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
And Joe, thank you for the link. Cracks me up--I would not ordinarily go straight to VW for my 1966 for parts, but I suppose it makes perfect sense to go Honda in this case! :oops: Ah well, I came to the right place for help, anyway!

Any more comments greatly appreciated; I'll keep you guys up to date.

Any ideas on how this happens?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Your normal Honda dealer will be $103.00 or greater. Majestic Honda offers discount online ordering. I think that it would be hard to go anywhere but Honda because of the low number of Insights produced. I doubt you would find a new one to match the OEM from anywhere else.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IIRC as far as balance goes its plastic and the Insight is a relatively low RPM engine so I can't imagine its a factor.

Of greater concern would be any stress cracks in or around the bolt holes that indicate pending total failure of the pulley. As long as the "chip" doesn't chew or fray the belt I'd live with it.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
If you retensioned the new belt per spec, and it is still squeeling, you may have another problem.
The load on the belt is very small compared to a car with an alternator. The water pump is a very small load, and the AC when turned on is the major load. The belt should not slip.
I bought a flooded damaged Insight several months ago, and heard a squeeling noise.
I tracked it down to the AC idler pulley bearing that was bad. If the squeel gets worse when you turn on the AC, you may need more tension, If it stays the same, you may have a bad bearing in the water pump , Tensioner pulley, or AC idler.
The chipped edge on the water pump pulley which is very light weight should not cause any problems with slippage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your responses and help. Mike, I do not have AC, so that should not be part of the problem.

I did not have a chance to look at it this week during daylight hours (first-year teacher + first year varsity coach = rarely see daylight) and today I am sick, but there doesn't seem to be a major problem. I am probably going to just buy the water pump anyway (sigh) and hold on to it. I am going on a road trip for spring break, and while I woud not LIKE to end up on the side of road making a repair, at least I would have the PART if that were the case.

I guess that's the end of story for now. I will fill you guys in if anything changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts