Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of testing out different size radiator blocks, and along the way i checked the insight water temp gauge against my new scangauge. here is what i have seen:

2 bars below 137 degrees
4 bars between 137 and 166
6 bars from 167 to at least 203.

the car runs down the road at 195, but when i stopped just off the highway today it went up to 203. at this point that is the highest i have seen it, so no more info at this time. and i hope not to get higher numbers, i like it to run at the thermostat setting. :)

i will start another thread about the radiator block data, once i have collected some more.

·
Administrator
12,311 Posts
Update

For info I have blocked off the entire air con radiator area in both my cars. This cuts almost entire airflow at front. I have had scangauge plugged in, and it is running fine at 90C ish.

Cooling fan, if it activates can still draw air down that gap between air con and water radiator. More block is better so long as you keep an eye on the temp. If fan activates excessively on your commute then chop your block back a bit. :)

It's getting colder here and I am trying to maintain my 100mpg average over the winter!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so far i am showing 195-197 for normal highway commuting. the road is pretty flat, except for all the overpasses.today it was 72 degrees outside when i started my commute, and it didnt get above 198 water temp on one of the long overpasses. so far so good!

next i have to grab more heat for the intake...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Temps here in Texas lately will dip into the high 40s in the morning and high 60s in the afternoon. However, it did hit almost 80 yesterday. I am using the radiator block with a warm-air modification that I monitor with a Scangauge. I'm running an average of 195 water temp and 115 intake air temperature on my morning and afternoon drive.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
On a hot day, the hot air mod can make intake air temp go too high, especially when climbing mountains. I've seen 135-140 at times. Now I often swap when I'm going over the mountain: normal when I'm starting up, then I stop at the top and swap to the hot air one. Takes about 30 seconds...

Interestingly, I see a LOT hotter IAT when it's climbing than in ordinary driving. I would have expected the cat to maintain a fairly constant temperature once it had warmed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts