Honda Insight Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
What does this mean? I know what it means, but why?
View attachment 84254
I just edited a post I put up 5 minutes ago and I am editing this one which at the time was 24 minutes old.
We are currently experiencing a hiccup in the coding around editing that we hope to have resolved soon. You should have unlimited editing within 24 hours of posting, and 10 separate edit abilities for posts olders than this. These edit abilities will run on independant 7 day reset timers.

We hope to return to that functionality shortly.
-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
This is great progress, and I hope it is really SOON and that it works. But I am curious. Why the restrictions? What is gained by limiting what the OP can do with his own posts?

Sam

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
This is great progress, and I hope it is really SOON and that it works. But I am curious. Why the restrictions? What is gained by limiting what the OP can do with his own posts?

Sam
It is to preserve thread continuity and to avoid users from removing all their content or replacing it with spam it the account gets hacked.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I think the "10 edits in 7 days" is a really clever way to allow users to infinitely edit old posts, but prevent a rogue user from affecting the site too much before they can be banned.

On a forum I used to moderate, sometimes people would get upset for whatever reason (arguments with other users, usually) and leave the site, taking down all their guides and forum posts in the process. This was obviously bad for the community as a whole.
I'm really proud that InsightCentral is a great repository for Insight information, guides, problem solving, and modifications. It would be sad if a user could simply remove all their contributing posts overnight. The edit restriction lets you add info to old posts but prevents you from too quickly removing it.

·
Administrator
11,014 Posts
The editing restrictions for non mods seem sensible as stated.

If one of the big contributors suddenly threw a wobbler and deleted all their stuff and threads it would be a disaster for the community.

·
Super Moderator
7,628 Posts
If one of the big contributors suddenly threw a wobbler and deleted all their stuff and threads it would be a disaster for the community.
Ah, we love the international flavor - but a "throw a wobbler." I was sent scurrying to my ref to get this one:

Throw a Wobbler Definition | BritishSlang.co.uk

Seems to be the equivalent to the old southern expression, "throw a hissy fit" :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
ONLY 23 hrs to post is absolutely stupid!! I've been on several tuner and DSM sites since 2002. NOT once have we seen someone be hacked and go back and edit someone's old posts. They have unlimited edit ability. On one forum, I'm a Wiseman and part of the admin/moderator/super user group. Again, it's NOT happened. I have a quite a few pics and input on a brake line and fuel line install. I refuse to post anything given the short period. It's just stupid and an excuse.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The editing restrictions for non mods seem sensible as stated.

And the obvious is, the site is backed up and recoverable and said person could be removed or restricted. But then again, why shouldn't they have the ability to delete their content?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am having a lag issue like I have a really slow connection or something. I click a post and it takes a while for anything to happen. It's like I didn't' click at all. It is only when I look up at my loading bar that I see that it is trying to load.

My specs: Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro, 16gb ram, os 10.15.3
Frontier fios fiber connection 75/75 speed connected directly to the router with a cat5 cable.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I'm having a similar delay, especially when I initially click the link to get me to the sight the first time.

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Hello all,

We are working on making some tweaks to the software to increase the speed of the community this week.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
How about relocating the "jump to latest" button next to the "prev" button?, or last page number?

willie

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
How about relocating the "jump to latest" button next to the "prev" button?, or last page number?

willie
Would that be better or worse for users first clicking onto the page and wanting to skip from the top menu?
I can look into including a last page option so you can skip forward to that. Would developing that work for you?

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
Clicking on the "jump to latest takes you to the last post, last page anyway. I'm talking about putting the button next to the page numbers/previous buttons.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts