Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 27 days at the dealer, we got our Insight back. We had an IMA light issue at 83,692 miles.

The dealer covered all expenses under warranty. The codes were "DTC 77 or DT 787". They replaced the battery, BCM and MCM. That is as detailed as the invoice got. When we had the CAT's replaced at 67K, the invoice showed the cost of every screw and grommet.

Such a deal! We feel quite fortunate. I'll report in about any performance changes if I can get my wife's butt out of the driver seat.

Now our decision. The wife will be delivering our first child next month. We have had an aquaintance hounding us to buy our car for years. Anyone buying this car would be getting a great deal with a rebuilt IMA and 16K on new CAT's.

I have a company car (Ford Windstar) as well as our Honda Element. The company car is normally jam packed with parts to repair the systems I work on. We have really gotten spoiled by averaging 63.9 MPG over the life of the car and 66 MPG the last year or so.

Oh, the emotions! It's just a car doesn't fit here....

:D :( :? :x :cry: :evil: :?: :shock: :) :eek:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
JeffKinTN said:
Such a deal! We feel quite fortunate.
I'm glad everything was covered under warranty. But I would worry that with such a major replacement of parts that things weren't all put together correctly or missed. I have never had a good service experience at a dealership. Everytime I checked their work I would find bolts and screws missing or the paint scratched. In fact just the other day as I changed my oil I discoverd the dealership didn't replace numerous screws that hold the front lower air damns in place. They replaced them several years ago so it's pointless to get them to take care of this now. My point is, it's very easy for service department mechanics (I mean technitions), to forget things. As they are being rushed to get the job done quickly and out so they can work on the next one.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You missed one emoticon Jeff ;)

:mrgreen:

But it really fits the rest of us better. Green over your good fortune :!: I wouldn't "worry" about Rusty Wallace too much. And if you get serious about selling let me know it I can be of help :!:
:D

HTH! :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
JeffKinTN said:
The wife will be delivering our first child next month. We have had an aquaintance hounding us to buy our car for years. Anyone buying this car would be getting a great deal with a rebuilt IMA and 16K on new CAT's.

My wife will be delivering our first child next month to, but I still have an old Civic Coupe '94 in mint condition left 8) That will due for a family car for the next few years. I don't drive this car much anyhow.
So my advice: Dont sell your Insight, you will regret it for sure :cry:
Good luck with the birth next month !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insightful Trekker said:
You missed one emoticon Jeff ;)
I wasn't feeling that one at the moment.... :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resist said:
JeffKinTN said:
Such a deal! We feel quite fortunate.
I'm glad everything was covered under warranty. But I would worry that with such a major replacement of parts that things weren't all put together correctly or missed. I have never had a good service experience at a dealership. Everytime I checked their work I would find bolts and screws missing or the paint scratched. In fact just the other day as I changed my oil I discoverd the dealership didn't replace numerous screws that hold the front lower air damns in place. They replaced them several years ago so it's pointless to get them to take care of this now. My point is, it's very easy for service department mechanics (I mean technitions), to forget things. As they are being rushed to get the job done quickly and out so they can work on the next one.

Yeah, I'm going to lose sleep over it. I have full trust in my technitions....

What? ....I discoverd the dealership didn't replace numerous screws that hold the front lower air damns in place. They replaced them several years ago.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
windmill said:
JeffKinTN said:
The wife will be delivering our first child next month. We have had an aquaintance hounding us to buy our car for years. Anyone buying this car would be getting a great deal with a rebuilt IMA and 16K on new CAT's.

My wife will be delivering our first child next month to, but I still have an old Civic Coupe '94 in mint condition left 8) That will due for a family car for the next few years. I don't drive this car much anyhow.
So my advice: Dont sell your Insight, you will regret it for sure :cry:
Good luck with the birth next month !!

We're a little too practical (cheap) to keep an extra car sitting around soaking up things like insurance premiums.

And, good luck to you too next month.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like we're going to keep her, for now.

John, for you...

:wink:

J

·
Registered
473 Posts
JeffKinTN said:
After 27 days at the dealer, we got our Insight back. We had an IMA light issue at 83,692 miles.

The dealer covered all expenses under warranty. The codes were "DTC 77 or DT 787". They replaced the battery, BCM and MCM. That is as detailed as the invoice got. When we had the CAT's replaced at 67K, the invoice showed the cost of every screw and grommet.

Such a deal! We feel quite fortunate. I'll report in about any performance changes if I can get my wife's butt out of the driver seat.
What you're gonna find I'm guessing, is that your car will now use the IMA system more freely. After I had this same repair I noticed it right away. The IMA would come in much sooner and to a greater degree than it did before. While this doesn't sound like a bad thing, I have to wonder if I get into a situation where I'm in hilly terain am I going to run down my battery that much sooner. I haven't encountered that condition yet, but I expect to. My mileage is for the most part unchanged.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
devin1955 said:
JeffKinTN said:

What you're gonna find I'm guessing, is that your car will now use the IMA system more freely. After I had this same repair I noticed it right away. The IMA would come in much sooner and to a greater degree than it did before. While this doesn't sound like a bad thing, I have to wonder if I get into a situation where I'm in hilly terain am I going to run down my battery that much sooner. I haven't encountered that condition yet, but I expect to. My mileage is for the most part unchanged.

Thanks.

Hills we got. I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to drive it. Tomorrow night!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
JeffKinTN said:
I'm glad you are so trusting but how would you know if they did the job correctly? My point is you wouldn't, not until months or even years later when something goes wrong with it and it is outside of their warranty.

No matter what they call themselves these days they still are only grease monkeys. And most of the time their works proves it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Resist said:
JeffKinTN said:
I'm glad you are so trusting but how would you know if they did the job correctly? My point is you wouldn't, not until months or even years later when something goes wrong with it and it is outside of their warranty.

No matter what they call themselves these days they still are only grease monkeys. And most of the time their works proves it.

R,

Discontinue the spamming of my thread....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resist said:
That is not spam.
Your experience with your dealer has nothing to do with this thread.

Spam. :roll:

I drove the "I" around for a while last night. I runs great! I did not percieve any difference in the amount of assist or how quickly it jumped in. It seemed normal as before the breakdown. The guy who wants to buy it is going to drive it next week.

More then..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sorry. All I'm saying is look the car over very carefully to make sure bolts are not missing and such, which could cause future problems. Service departments do makes mistakes and an aware consumer is one that isn't left stranded because of sloppy repair work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts