Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in several place in these forums, and have also seen it for myself with my Insight, about the higher levels of wear on the outside of the tires. In fact, when I got new tires after accumulating 42,000 miles on the original set that came with the car, the outside edges of the tires were nearly bald while the middle of the tires had at least a few millimeters of tread left. I've always kept my pressures at or above the manufacturer's recommendations so I don't think the wear could be attributed to underinflation (which I have experienced in previous vehicles I've owned where I've kept the tires a little underinflated to improve handling a bit) and in the past when I've overinflated tires the middle has worn more than the edges, which is what I expected I would see but never have. My question, which maybe someone in this forum can answer, concerns the setup of the suspension. Could it be something like the camber (maybe the top of the tire is canted out past where the bottom of the tire is located, putting more pressure on the outer tire surface) or toe-in (which is supposed to be zero for Insights if I remember correctly, where normally I believe most cars carry a small bit of toe-in, at least in the front) which is having more of an effect on tire wear than the inflation value?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hambone,

all suspension problems I'm aware of would cause the tire to wear asymetrically, on one side (in or out) only. The fact that inside and outside wear evenly, and only the middle doesn't is what makes it look like underinflation.

This has been discussed at length in the yahoo group. And the Prius group has also found the same thing (they have the same type tires in a different size).

Someone suggested it might be due to the design of the rim.

I guess it's just odd. I decided not to worry as long as I get decent overall tire life. Mine are at 45k and getting close to their limit. I'll replace them in the fall. Maybe I'll get winter tires after all... :?:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Are you guys experiencing alot of wear on the outside of the tires only?
(This would be caused by a positive camber alignment on the wheels)
Or is the high wear on the inside AND outsides of the tires but not in the middle?
(This is normally caused by underinflation and/or ultra stiff sidewalls on the tires)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, not only on the outside edge, but on the inside also, with much less wear in the middle of the tread. But I KNOW its absolutely not a matter of underinflation because with my previous set of tires I normally ran ~40psi front and rear, and now I'm running closer to 50psi and already I'm noticing less wear in the middle of the tire. So, if you're right Guillermo, the wear patterns on the tires must be due more to stiff sidewalls. I think I reference the outer edge because its easier to guage on a consistant basis, its just harder to see the wear on the inside of the tire until its off the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts