Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Welcome to the window vent shade Mod. Made a template (within .010 “) to match up against car windows to find the best fit. Had a real exciting time for weeks going around to dealerships, parking lots (didn’t get shot!), etc looking for the best match for an Insight. Among the best or dead on fits were ’04 Mitsubishi eclipse, ’96 Nissan 300zx, ’01 Acura integra, ’04 Toyota 2 dr GT (1/4” too short). Of the ones dead on no one makes a vent, OH WELL.
The best is one for a ’04 Honda Accord 2 dr coupe. WheatherTech has vent shades for this one and their just about dead on and the finished product (on the insight) is better than OEM. They’re made in Germany by Climeair for WeatherTech. Strong acrylic with the part that goes inside the window channel milled for an accurate fit. The part number is 70321. You can order them from MacNeil Automotive Products, 1-800-441-6287. Make sure you SPECIFY their for a ’04 Coupe. Cost $50 and another $10 for shipping.
You’ll need a LOW HEAT heat gun (Home Depo about $55) which you can use for other projects later. The acrylic seems workable around 210- 230 degrees F (should feel hot to the touch when about to be workable). Go slow, you can always reheat. It’s relatively easy to work with if your careful. There should enough Pics ( link below ) to clarify what needs to be done. Tried an 1875 watt hair dryer, not hot enough.
Do the PASSENGER side first. When putting them in the channel follow the instructions for inserting the front leg first, rear section second and then inserting the vent in channel front to rear (instructs come with the vents). When popping them in I heated them just a little(80-100 F) first to make them a little more pliable. You may want to tape the outside surfaces before mod’ing so there will be less chance of scratching them up.
As window channels vary (even one side of the car to the other) they will need to be hand fitted. Here we go….
Cut ½ “ off the end of the front leg at a right angle to the leg (square). Hold the vent up to the window to see how much more material needs to be removed to have the bend at the beginning of the leg fit into the bend in the channel and have the bottom of the leg butt VERY TIGHTLY against the top of the doorframe. Remove just enough material, a little at a time, fine flat file worked best for me. See WinCutFt pic. Side mirror can be pushed forward, see WinFin1 pic.
Holding the vent to the channel you’ll see that the angle of the leg needs to be changed. About 10 degrees forward. Look at the WinHeat pic. Hold the gun pointed away from the corner and more towards the leg so as to not overheat the thin part that goes into the channel. When it gets hot to the touch bend it to the angle needed (you may want to use a rag to insulate your hand from the heat). You’ll need to hold it till it cools. Don't worry if you put a kink in the thin part, heat it (real quickly) and straighten it with two small flat pieces of wood pushed from either side.
Next, look at the WinCutRr pic. Cut 1/8” off the end of the rear of the vent. Make the cut at a slight angle / (very slight). Now try to pop the in channel vent in. You'll probly have to remove more material with your file, a little at a time. Remember, like the front leg you want it to be real tight. When it just pops in you can stop right here, your done! Going slow and deliberate you can do one in less than hour. Second one will go a little quicker. They will not fall out but can be popped out (carefully) any time for finessing if need be, just reverse the install instructions.
If you want and feel your getting good with your heat gun after they’ve been in for a few days you can make them fit the channel more precise. Look at your window channel, you’ll see a little rubber nub at the top towards the front a little. Kinda looks like it’s there to make sure the window goes into the channel. You’ll need to evenly heat the vent from there to the rear end (and slowly). First pop out the vent. Put the window all the way up. Tap the window down button so the window comes down about 1/8” (so it’s still in the channel). Next pop in the vent, the window will hold the vent more precisely in position. Look at the section your going to heat. A part of it won’t be quite all the way in. While pushing and holding it in have a helper push the window button to raise the window the rest of the way. Apply even heat with a little less toward the “nub”. If you get a kink don’t worry. You can do small spot fixes with a small flat stick ( like a piece of a paint stirrer) holding it at an angle on the edge of the vent so as not to scratch it (just in case... you probly won't get a kink).
TA-DA! They really enhance the look of the Insight. You can leave the windows down
about 2 inches and no rain gets in, car stays a little cooler when parked.
The WinFin pics
are the finished product on the car, but not with the second half of the mod (so you know the second half of the mod is not necessary if you don't want to do it), hope their OK. Like most mods it's 90% prep and 10% doing. Please ask any questions you may have to :
[email protected] or just post them here, Jack.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jackmpg

PS: Sorry for the long verbage but I wanted you to have all the info to
pop these babies as close to right in as possible...
EDIT : Hi all, You may observe after you do the second half of the mod that the vent may move slightly when window is raised or lowered. This is because if you heated the vent enough so that the thin part that shares the channel with the window has molded (or bent) to fit the angle of the channel. As you use the heat gun more you’ll develop ability and confidence to shape your vents including correcting any goof ups if they may have happened.
I called Mac Neil Automotive about the movement (didn’t mention I mod’d the vents for another vehicle). Spoke with Customer Rep Leif. “Do you have instances where the vents move a bit with window up or down?” Leif shared “Yes and if a customer wishes we’ll send them rubber channel bumpers or thin double sided tape (which works better) to secure the vent to the channel”. So…
Finessing the Second half of the mod: Pop out the passenger vent (probly used less, goof on that one). Check that the thin part has the angle of the channel, If not redo the instructs for the second half. You can also shape the thin part with the vent off the car with careful heat and small flat sticks as previously mentioned. Also, the front leg. If you find you removed too much material you can heat the middle of it (the part with the “hump”) and pull the hump straight (or less as needed). Once you have the vent so if fits the channel real nice you can apply 3-M thin double sided tape to the outside of the thin part, use a sharp knife to trim the excess, carefully put the vent back in, put the window up, let it sit like that for a day and you should be done. If you used silicone spray or such you’ll want to clean or wash the channel good before you put the vent in. Instead of the tape I plan to use 3-M 5200 or 50 quick set black adhesive (that Ace place again, West Marine and Boat US too). With all this typing you’d think this mod is a lot of work. Fortunately it’s not, I’m just a nut on detail and being thorough. It took A LOT more time to type and present this mod. And the finished product is awesome
EDIT2 Done. Taped some plastic wrap to the top of the window. Used 3-M 5200 fast cure black adhesive (can also use 3-M 50 fast cure black). Applied a thin bead to the surface of the vent that will contact the window channel. Carefully inserted it into the channel so as not get the goo on anything. Held the vent in place while a helper put up the window so the vent and window share the channel. Drive for 3 days with windows up while waiting for goo to cure and done. Before you lower window for the first time use a sharp knife (plastic box cutter) in channel to make sure window isn't glued to the vent. Doesn't move, looks great and the vent will still be there long after the car rots out. For the final Pics check the above link, open Vent Shade Mod and check the pics named Adhesive (1 thru 5). Happy Trails, Jack

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Hello Jack,

That was alot of typing!...You described the modification very well and
the pics look great....Now that we are in September, I will probably wait
until next spring to install them as well as the A/C insulation modification.
Both mods should keep the Insight a little cooler next year.

Thanks for the info,

JoeCVT

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,876 Posts
Excellent job Jack. Good photos and explaination. Glad to see you are still doing R&D.

The vents look "clear" are they?

How's the hurricane? E mailed my brother, but no answer yet.

See you on my next Fla. trip.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jack,

It was also helpful that you listed the dead ringers. Perhaps one of these will eventually get the factory made ones. I wonder if the factory would make some if they had a list of cars they fit? Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your support

Thanks all for your support. The vents are pretty dark. The WeatherTech
web site does list darker vents but I didn't dare order them. Just a growing hunch that their really for an '02 or earlier accord and they'll bend to fit an '04. We have enough bending to do already. The phone calls made to WTech, AVS and EGR left me with a gut feeling that their not always selling what you think your buying... That's why when you
order I recommend that you specify their for an '04 Coupe. These
particular vents were released to be sold just last week as per the WTech rep I spoke to early last week. The part # is still 70321 but looking further down the invoice they note:
"2004 HONDA ACCORD COUPE-70321-LM" I will make another phone call to WTech (today, if their open on Sat.) and ask about that 70321-LM and edit the mod part number if there is a difference. An unexpected benefit is that the vents flair up a bit installed in the insight so the vehicle vents better without rain getting in when parked or driving. AVS does have a part # for in channel vents for the '04 Toyota GT coupe but NOBODY would sell them to me. Besides their a 1/4" short and the WTechs are much better quality.
Just happy to be part of your team, Jack
PS: Hurricane Frances as of Sat. 8:30am is about 105 mi SE of Ft. Lauderdale (east coast) and traveling NW at 6 mph. Cat 2 now but may increase a little when she gets over the warm gulf stream. Venice will probly get some wind and a bunch of rain, oh well. I'm looking forward to next year Willie.

Called WeatherTech, Customer Service verified that the 70321 and 70321-LM part #'s both default to the same part, so we're ok. Just for the hell of it I'd still specify (too anal I guess) that the vent is for an '04
Honda Accord 2 dr Coupe

Jack

·
Registered
338 Posts
and to this day

no one carries the following shades:
04 mits eclipse
96 nissan 300zx
01 acura teg

and of course me 2001 honda insight......

POOP!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I wonder if they would make the vents for a Insight if we could get enough preorders. I would be willing to call and place a set on order if they would take it. I believe most that have hot climates would like a set to prevent heat buildup when parked outside. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would go for a set too.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If they would be "in-channel" (slides into the window track) then you
can count me in as well.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
338 Posts
and obviously put me on that list......and tell them if we get a part number and 800 number we will refer EVERY insight owner we can get our hands on....tell them the number of subscribers and how it would be beneficial to their income....

that MIGHT wake them up......

·
Registered
652 Posts
I asked and got back a email (see below). But if enoough people inquire then perhaps that file they mention (if it exists) will get full enough to make production profitable. Have fun, RIck

Mr. Reece,

Thank you for your interest in MacNeil Automotive.

Unfortunately, we do not have plans at this time to make a set of side window deflectors for the Honda Insight. I do not foresee a part being designed in the future since the vehicle is not produced in high numbers and we would not be able to maintain long term sales that would pay for the high cost of tooling the mold.

However, we will keep your information on file and contact you if a deflector is manufactured for the Insight. In the meantime, please call us if you have further questions and we will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Derek Debs
MacNeil Automotive

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rick

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your effort, I tried too but you got a better response than I did. Still, the ones I did were not that much work. And I appreciate them each and every time I get in Baby. Jack
PS If you find a seller you can put me in for a set too, to support the cause and my next Insight. Thanks again

·
Registered
338 Posts
damn the ventsheild gods!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Auto Vent Shade

Hi there,
Of the cars I checked the closest dead ringer was the ’04 Toyota Celica GT. Auto Vent Shade makes one for this car now. As I remember it was DEAD on but one quarter inch short, which shouldn’t be a problem since they appear to be in channel vents. The part number is 192403. This link should get you there. Good luck… Jack

http://www.autoventshade.com/index.html

·
Registered
338 Posts
thanks Jack!

you da man!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Trunkout,
Are you going to order a set? I am sure there are a lot of us that are wondering how they will turn out and if 1/4" makes any difference.

Jackmpg,
Do you remember which axis they are short on? At the top of the window front to back or down the front at the bottom.

Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
338 Posts
on order....I'll let ya know......I have a freind at O'reilly auto parts that can have new ones in one day......i'm gonna try them all dammit!

i'll let yall know......your my homies....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts