Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious how much weight be trimmed from the car if I removed the battery pack???

·
Registered
466 Posts
26 lbs, IIRC. but then you can remove all the computers that control it, the dc-dc converter, the cooling ducting and fans, etc. thats probably another 100 pounds or so.

but then you have to figure out how you are going to charge the 12 volt battery. theres no alternator. and do you want to drive around without the extra kick from the IMA system?

i think, in "normal" driving, the gas mileage will drop. i lost a few when i went without the IMA system while waiting for replacement batteries and controllers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the IMA battery only weighs 26 lbs?????????????????????????

wow I was thinking at least 100+

·
Registered
466 Posts
ok, so i don't recall correctly :oops: but 120 D-cells don't weigh all that much...

are you having issues with the battery pack? or really just a bit curious?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as usual I did a useless search and found nothing on the subject! :?

anyway....I was just thinking in the future (after 2010) if my IMA battery craps out what my options will be and could I actually gain mpg by losing the excess weight of the battery pack but apparently its not doable.

I thought I had read somewhere that someone is driving around with no IMA (for some reason).

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
466 Posts
there will be aftermarket batteries by then. i hope!

and i think mike (99mpg) is working on a system to charge the 12 volt battery if the IMA stuff is gone.

IT: i forgot all about that. :lol:

/cali guy voice mode on/ nice memory, dude! 8)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was driving along the other day with a fully charged battery, powering up hills and gliding along the level parts, thinking about how nice it would be the entire IMA system was out of there, not holding the car back with "background charging," etc...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IMO the only "penalty" of the IMA system is its weight. And its MPG hit due to weight is almost negligible.

Reads like you'd be interested in MIMA. Follow the links to further investigate and discuss it if you so desire. IIRC there is also a low cost IMA Charge defeat option for the 02 and eariler models. "Delay" forced charging for more opportune traffic or terrain. Just watch SoC or you'll also loose Auto Stop and Assist if you wait too long. There is some confusion about it not working on 03 and later. Use the forum search feature (IIRC the thread is in _this_ forum).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Removing the IMA system may be posible. It is extremely unlikely that you will gain mileage if you opt for a standard alternator as the drag produced by the drive belt and alternator is substantial. You could theoretically run an aftermarket switching power supply off the IMA motor/generator to charge the 12 volt battery, but you might as well just keep using the one that is built in as part of the IMA system. Controlling the charging and discharging of the IMA system as John suggested above will gain you mileage without having to remove the IMA system.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A member of metrompg.com has removed the alternator from his 1.0 metro and reported a 10% gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts