Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Insight 5MT w/ AC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hit 90° and above in Illinois and my 04 has developed some strange symptoms and I'm curious what you all think.

In the morning, everything is normal. I've got some other issues but the cars runs smooth and happy despite them. There's no ABS light and I can hit roughly 50-60mpg at 60mph-ish.

As the day goes and gets to around peak temperature I've noticed my ABS light turns on rather reliably and my brakes have what I can only describe as a "crunch" at the very top, before operating as normal. A little later into my regular drive I've noticed the brake regen doesn't light the charge side up all the way and only hits ~2/3 of the bar. MPG also drops to 50 and below at the same speeds.

I checked the master cylinder and the fluid is clear and isn't spilling out. The ABS codes read 41, 51, and 53. When jacked in the air, the rear tires spin freely and the fronts have light resistance and come to stop sooner. The front left feels like it has slightly more resistance than the right, buts it's barely noticeable.

I've heard of brake drag but I don't know if that's my situation and I want to be sure before spending anything on parts.

·
Linsight Designer
3,465 Posts
(41): Right-front wheel lock
(51): ABS motor lock
(53): Motor stuck on

Follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this PDF. After that link loads, click the 'download' button and you will get the ABS System Troubleshooting manual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts