Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Insight seemed to be running well until the 12v battery failed. I happened to read the fault codes (P1644, P1542, P1441) when I was attempting to recharge the battery. After I replaced the battery, when I went to start the engine, it seemed to start normally via the IMA battery, but it only ran for about 3 sec and shutdown; it then restarted by itself and ran again for about 3 sec. It did this again, and after it shutdown it stayed off until I tried again with the key and did the same cycle. I then read the fault codes and found that there weren’t any. Nada. Does anyone know what is going on and what has failed?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Never seen anyone report anything like this. I was gonna say it sounds like it must be an autostop-related problem. That 1542 code is about "climate control unit signal circuit high voltage," but I don't see a detailed troubleshooting sheet in the pdf manual. That sounds like it might mess with autostop... Didn't see a P1441, P1644 is a "MOTFSA signal malfunction," no duty cycle signal for at least 5 seconds, so the sheet says...

No ideas really, just check your 12V system grounds, make sure they're solid.

·
Super Moderator
9,232 Posts
Like eq1, never heard of such a problem. I'd check all the grounds under the hood. This thread shows where they are located:

·
Administrator
13,086 Posts
I suspect it didn't actually start but the IMA was turning it over.

If you are 100% sure the 12V is ok etc then back to basics.

Are the engine earth leads perfect?
Does the immobiliser light go off?
Do you have fuel in the cylinders?
Do you have a spark?
(Use some 'easy start' in the air intake does it run now when cranked?)

Video the starting behaviour, upload to YT and post a link.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2000 Insight seemed to be running well until the 12v battery failed. I happened to read the fault codes (P1644, P1542, P1441) when I was attempting to recharge the battery. After I replaced the battery, when I went to start the engine, it seemed to start normally via the IMA battery, but it only ran for about 3 sec and shutdown; it then restarted by itself and ran again for about 3 sec. It did this again, and after it shutdown it stayed off until I tried again with the key and did the same cycle. I then read the fault codes and found that there weren’t any. Nada. Does anyone know what is going on and what has failed?
I sort of have a different view on how to figure out your problem. What are the exact circumstances of the failure of your 12 volt battery? Is it possible you have an open connection or a partial short? If you find why the battery failed, it will lead you to why the engine is not running properly. And when the 12 volt system goes down, I tend not to believe any of the fault codes. I have seen this before - a bunch of fault codes that are cleared and then never show up again, after loss of 12 volt system. Computers can do strange things if the power to them drops slowly. I read a paper on microcontrollers that indicate that some of the cpu instruction would not execute while others would if running on low voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the above suggestions, both informative. Will start working on them soon after required gardening support to my dearest wife is performed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect it didn't actually start but the IMA was turning it over.

If you are 100% sure the 12V is ok etc then back to basics.

Are the engine earth leads perfect?
Does the immobiliser light go off?
Do you have fuel in the cylinders?
Do you have a spark?
(Use some 'easy start' in the air intake does it run now when cranked?)

Video the starting behaviour, upload to YT and post a link.
You were right, the starting fluid did the trick, now I have to research where the fuel pump unless you have a suggestion as to probable cause.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,599 Posts
Listen at the "fuel filler" for a "gurggling" sound with the ign key in the "run position". No sound? Start with the fuel line to the fuel rail going to the injectors. Disconnect and see if there is a flow of gas. No flow?
Fuel pump is in the area behind and between the seats. Possibly a fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is bad.. IMHO

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
Or the rodents ate the wires.

Scott

Reactions: retepsnikrep
1 - 9 of 9 Posts