Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 manual transmission w/AC. It has about 91,000 miles on it. I'm getting a squeaky/grinding noise from under the hood when the car is moving. It doesn't do it in idle stop, in idle run, or when accellerating. It only does it when cruising, mildly accelerating, and during braking. During those times it is intermittent.

The temperature gauge is about 2 notches higher than normal (I think 7 bars total now). It is driving normally other than this. The brakes are squeaking some when I apply them (though the dealer just checked them about 500 miles ago and said all was ok, though they will need to replaced in about 7k miles) when they did the 90,000 service.

There doesn't seem to be anything leaking from the car (I have paper towels under it tonight to verify this). I have manually spun the fan blades, and haven't heard anything from this.

The sound kind of sounds like a worn bearing. The closest sound I kind of associate it with is a bunch of crickets. It sort of sounds like it it coming from the front passenger side of the car.

Any thoughts as to what this might be?

My current culprits are:
1) fan motors
2) water pump
3) front brakes

Anybody else have something like this happen?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
4) Drive belt(s) :?:

Try spraying them with a light oil (e.g. WD-40) and see if it temporairly cures the problem. If so replace them in the very near future. Else get your trusted local mechanic to rent you his ear(s).

The problem with diagnosing noises sight unseen & heard is so much information is lost in the translation. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you hold a short length of flexible hose to your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment you should be able to localise it.

If you use a black rubber hose, be sure to wash your ear before going out in public!!! :badgrin:

If the noise never happens with the car parked it is probably not the engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might try putting some drive belt dressing on them to see if it changes. Unfortunately, it doesn't make the noise when it is idling. I'm trying to decide if I want to take it or my truck to work tomorrow. If I take it, I can look at it during lunch. Guess there's always AAA if things go wrong.

And of course, there isn't a check engine light.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: It is at the dealer today, and it is apparently some piece of flexible exhaust part that has worn out. It is a $180 repair, which isn't bad for going to the dealership.

I'll post more when I get the invoice after picking it up.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I don't think the Insight has a flex pipe in the exhaust that some other cars have. Pretty sure my 03 CVT doesn't...Could it be a rusted cover on the catalytic converter broke loose on one side and it rattles at various engine RPMs?....

JoeCVT - Just your aveage CVT owner

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there were $53 in parts, and $115 in labor including diagnostics.

The parts were:
18229-s3y-j01 gasket ($25)
18230-sv4-000 spring ($6)
and two
18231-sr3-a22 bolt (at $11 each)

The description was: Replaced exhaust system flex joint gasket and springs.

At least it is quiet again, and it wasn't a major valve issue or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Sounds right on cost for the std. parts.
Labor= 1 hour for replacement
(5 min. to put on lift, 5 min to remove cover, 5 minutes to remove old parts, 10 minutes to get parts from parts dept., 5 min to reinstall parts, 5 min to lower lift and remove vehicle, 10 minutes to test drive vehicle and 15 minutes for paper work.) :lol:
and probably an hourly charge for diag.

Looks like you had one of the tension springs break. (There are two)

When I was making the "turbo exhaust", I got a "dougnut" from a local muffler shop that was the same measurements as the Insight one.
It has "graphite" embeded in it to allow a flexing of the pipe without any squeak.

COST...........$1.75 8)

Willie

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sounds like a basis for a new Mastercard commercial.
Graphite loaded convex gasket, $1.75.
knowing where to stick it, Priceless.

I'm glad to hear that it was something simple. On certain other 6 year old cars the exhaust sytem would be all rusted out. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts