Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 5 speed with about 37,000 miles on it. I'm getting a high pitched, short lasting squeak from the front end when the car auto starts, if I let off the gas while it is accellerating it squeaks about 3 seconds later, and sometimes while braking.

It sounds sort of like the annoying squeak, though not as persistent, as when the hood is not closed all of the way. However, I have lubricated the hood latch (and it is closed).

The squeak sort of sounds like the beep when I hit a button on my Alpine car stereo, but a few notes higher.

Any thoughts/ideas as to what this is? My personal guess is a motor mount. However, the dealer says that everything is lifetime greased, so they would need to be replaced. The guy from the dealer can't hear the squeak.

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with Aaron. It sounds like the motor mount squeak I had in my Mazda 323 many years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Front Squeak

Had the front end squeak on my car. The dealer says it's motor mounts, and they need to be replaced. :(
Only bought the car six weeks ago. Bought the extended warranty as well. :D

Jef

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would definitely not discount the loose belt idea. There's no alternator, so that's one less belt, but the air conditioner compressor is belt-driven and likely to chirp whenever the air conditioner comes on or the engine suddenly changes speed, and if you use the air conditioner in "efficient" mode, it could be switching on and off at the times you describe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
squeak

Thanks for the thought, Will. The squeak lives regardless of the air conditioning settings, including "off."
Jef

·
Registered
3 Posts
squeek

I've got an extremely annoying high pitched squeek that the dealership and a local mechanic can't identify. The mechanic's a sharp guy that specializes in Saab and Volvo...after listening to mine, claims that Volvos have the same problem.

I hear it at low driving speeds, like in parking lots, usually going over small bumps, but not necessarily. It's heard both when turning and driving straight.

It's been for it's 60,000 check up and the problem is not the motor mounts. Still, the cause hasn't been identified.

It's a head turning squeek, so it's not just embarassing, it's bad advertising for the car.

Over the past 6 months the car has also developed a very loud creek in the rear that happens when going over bumps. I've been told it's the shocks bottoming out, but I've noticed that it creeks even when the shocks aren't fully depressed. Since I live in an area where the local roads are dirt and the driving is on a washboard surface it's impossible to avoid bumps all together.

Does this sound similar to your squeeking/creeking? If I finally figure out what's making the racket I'll post the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same issue.

" high pitched, short lasting squeak from the front end when the car auto starts, if I let off the gas while it is accellerating it squeaks about 3 seconds later, and sometimes while braking. "

Anyone figure this one out yet?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: squeek

Ecopod said:
Over the past 6 months the car has also developed a very loud creek in the rear that happens when going over bumps. I've been told it's the shocks bottoming out, but I've noticed that it creeks even when the shocks aren't fully depressed. Since I live in an area where the local roads are dirt and the driving is on a washboard surface it's impossible to avoid bumps all together.

Does this sound similar to your squeeking/creeking? If I finally figure out what's making the racket I'll post the info.
try having your dealer grease between the drum assembly and the actual hub.....did it for me......I don't know about the "squeek" (just the creek)!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a fix for the Creek in the back

Hey I found my creek in the back suspension! its from the tow bolts that hold the lower table, they rust and the bushing jams. so when you go over a bump the tables move but the bushings don't want to causing a creek. The fix remove the bolts ( not easy) holding the rear lower tables and grease them

·
Registered
242 Posts
squeaks and creaks

downloader,

you don't have the front end creaking also? I have it front and rear. Thanks for posting about the rear creak fix - I haven't gotten around to it yet...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Front end squeak

I too have the front end squeak. I have not found it that annoying and neither has it gotten worse. I've mentioned it to my dealer a few times, even with a mechanic along for a test drive, and no solution.

I'll go for an easy fix.

Clint

Lmpg 56.4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts