Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right before New Year's, my 2000 Honda Insight manual's dreaded IMA light came on with 82,000 miles on the car.

I took it to Joe Marina Honda in Tulsa a few days later (because of the holiday) and they diagnosed a bad battery pack and module. It would have cost $4,200 installed, but the 150,000-mile warranty extension covered it, free of charge.

The parts arrived, I took it into the dealership today, and everything was fixed in about four hours. My fuel mileage is dramatically better. For a few weeks, I was struggling to keep the Insight above 50 miles per gallon (I thought it was because of the cold and other unfavorable weather conditions). Now it's well above 60 without really trying to hypermile.

Joe Marina Honda fixed this will a minimum of fuss. I'm really glad I'm now able to keep the old girl for a while longer. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glad to hear it was fixed for you. I hope mine doesn't come on soon, but if it does, I hope my dealer covers it as well as yours did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMA battery replacement

I had my IMA light come on at 115000 miles. The dealer replaced the battery pack etc. all under warranty. No charge. Thanks Honda!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hate to say this... but I'm really hoping mine dies before 150K.

It's kind of unfair. It's like "Those of you who beat the hell out of your packs get a free pass, those who took care & babied them past 150k... too damn bad".

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I am now at 150,400 miles, so if mine does ever decide to throw an IMA code I will rebuild my own battery pack using another used pack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fairness, I think the owner before me was the one who beat the hell out of the Insight.

When I bought it in 2004, its lifetime mileage was 47.4 miles per gallon, which is one of the lowest I've seen.

Now I have it up to 54.4. Whoever it was before me didn't know how to drive it very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts