Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been driving with NO IMA for about 15k...
Check engine light and IMA lights on....
Using the starter to start, staying under 4k rpms so the battery light stays off.

AND I INSTALLED A GIANT PORTED SUB BOX WITH A 500 WATT AMP IN THE STORAGE AREA THREE WEEKS AGO!

Man, anyone got issues with this little cars durability come talk to me.....

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Well Trunkout, that has to be some kiind of a record! :D

Evidently some parts of the IMA system are working in order to keep the 12 volt batterty charged. Your experience does point out one of the advantages of a parrallel assist hybrid systems such as the Honda IMA. In the case of the Prius the car just stops when there is no power to the electric motor. (The ICE has nothing to push against so there is no power out of the planetary gear.)

Are you covered by extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
trunkout's unusual IMA failure (thank goodness, batteries are bad enough) can be read about here:

yay first ima light!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5980

By trunkout's posts he's been averaging 125 miles / day * 7 days a week :shock:. Somewhat unusual and may be the saving grace keeping his Insight running vs. something more stop & go.

But his code isn't battery related. See the link above for the rest of his story. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naw....more like 51.9mpg , four days a week.

:badgrin:

And on the "warranty" issue.....I think I'll wait till about 130k and take it in again.

I figure the batteries will be bad enough by then they might "throw in" that part I need. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts