Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a '10 EX w/nav last night. Forgot to check if it had heated seats.

Were they available?

I never really gave them much thought till I rented a Maxima w/heated leather seats and my 54 year old stiff lower back sure did like them on a 250 mile drive.

If they aren't, how much of a PITA is it to add them? I did read here that someone added heaters under covers but the result was meh.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Never available in the US, but might have been part of a package in Europe. They sold Insights with factory leather.

As an aside, if you want luxury, I just borrowed my daughter's Kia Optima Hybrid for a small get away. It is really nice & gets about the same MPG as an Insight (for the way my wife & I drive anyway, about 38 mpg) It is a four door sedan and not a hatch though. She once checked the KBB on her 2013 and was shocked at how little it was worth. Might be worth looking into. It is so smooth you have to look at the tach to see when the engine starts. (It does run on battery only sometimes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard good things about the Hyundai Hybrids. And when I find one for 5 grand I will be all over it.

As you say, the resale value on G2s is almost criminal (to the original owners, anyhoo). As much as I feel badly for your poor sods that bought new, I do not so bad that I won't take advantage of the situation. From what I have read, there is only one reason the Insight's kbb numbers are in the toilet. That is their limited EV only ability. I could care less. I am looking for a highway bomber hatchback that is reasonably fun to drive. The G2 is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In the UK anyway the I2 was priced slightly above the Civic, and to do that, in what is essentially an elongated Fit platform, they added some extra spec, and upped the price. But the Civic is slightly wider IIRC, and the interior plastic quality is just below what I would class as traditional Honda class. Other than that, it's a good enough car, if a little space inneficient especially the rear load space. What you have is a butchered long Fit Hybrid with a longer wheelbase. Width is as a Fit.

The I2 is good on the highway, cruise control in eco mode is minimally aggressive, meaning that it allows the speed to drop before it starts to accel, and then accels slowly to the set speed, it's very good actually, and doesnt incur too large a hit on MPGs. 2 days ago I did a 300 mile round trip to the south of England, mostly at 67mph set on cruise and ECO, returning 59.9mpg Imperial, which I would say is roughly 52mpg in US gallons. So pretty fgood for what is a compact, but not very small car. I bought my car at 4 years old and the retained value was about 30% of new cost with 34K miles on - a good deal. I would suggest getting a top spec one as the incremental price difference is small, sat nav is pretty crappy compared to Google Maps, so I wouldn't bother about it per-se, but if it's got it its worth no more, no less IMO. I notice that the sat nav FM reception in the UK is far worse than the stock head unit, which for me, would push me to a non-nav car if I was buying again. Since the nav in the UK at the time was exactly no difference in price used, I just wanted one with cruise and leather at a low mileage in good condition. Not sure about the US, but all the UK ones had alloys, with all but base coming with 16", base came with 15" ones... but I am guessing the tyre profile makes the rolling diameter the same on all.

The worst part about the car is the gearbox, it's fine on the highway, but a bit fidgety in town I think. It's a funny point really, as the car is a popular Uber cab in the UK, but I personally think it's best on the highway, as a mile cruncher. With ECO off, it's not too sluggish either, but clearly, no race car... the motor is tiny. The only other persistently annoying 2 aspects of the car are the lock isnt that good in my opinion, and the cross -member on the tailgate between the 2 glass screens is annoying, and always seems to fall at headlight level, making distancing cars behind more difficult than a standard non-wedge hybrid model without that tailgate arrangement.

For what is an 8 year old model now, i'd say it was a pretty good car, but unfortunately, ive had to replace the CVT gearbox at 48K, and that's been a royal PITA.
MY UK spec car has leather heated seats.

In Europe the 3 specs were:

SE (base) fabric seats, not heated

ES (mid grade) fabric seats, heated, optional leather heated

EX (highest grade) leather heated seats.

Interestingly, my ES, which was a dealership demonstrator has optional leather and sat nav, making it identical to an EX, bar the HID lights and reverse parking sensors. Funny still, the leather seats on the EX were a perforated type leather, while my option spec seats are smooth type leather, less shiny - and from what I've seen wear better than the EX, and ive never seen another car with the type of leather as fitted to my car - but yes they are heated, and they have 3 positions: off, low and high.

On a cold day, turn to high, warm them up then maintain on low, thats what the book says.

They do get used, but personally, I wouldn't go to the hassle of retrofitting in the UK, as it doesn't really get cold enough to warrant them. Though the heater is good in the car with the climate control, it normally defaults to air con on, which involves manual override to turn it off. Saying that, the air con arrangement is eco-oriented (IIRC flow and return plumbing is in a single pipe to reduce losses so the compressor can bne smaller requiring less drag on the motor, and the result is a fairly small fuel economy hit, which is good if you live in a hot part of the world.

I think others have fitted leather heated covers to their insights on here, have a search.

From memory, I dont recall if the US cars had the wiring in place on the loom, or the blanking plates for the switches, which are either side of the gear selector, just forward of it near the storage spaces. Adding them likely isnt too much work, but you'd need a location for the switches, and you would need to cut the wiring in if it's not already there. The seat fabric needs to come off and the heater pads (2 per seat - 1 butt, 1 lumbar back) need going in.

It may be a beeter idea to buy some after market leather covers, and place the heater pads on the existing seats if you really wanted them.

However, though the Insight 2 is a good enough car, I would not buy another due to my gearbox problems, I would buy a Toyota in the most likely case, hybrid or otherwise - or a manual non-hybrid Honda as they are nice and simple.

·
3,641 Posts
I looked at a '10 EX w/nav last night. Forgot to check if it had heated seats.

If they aren't, how much of a PITA is it to add them? I did read here that someone added heaters under covers but the result was meh.

Here are some examples of aftermarket ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/161104135298
I had an upholstery shop take off the cloth covers, launder them, and reinstall clean with these underneath. Then I Scotchguarded them with the spray to prevent future staining.
These were done on my Honda CRZ seats which are similar to the G2 seats, and are VERY comfortable.

Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts