Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is almost always damp to wet. No coolant smell but starting to get that wonderful mold smell. The only time I have had a wet seatbelt is when I close the door and part of it hangs out. I have not explored very much but was hoping someone had a similar problem. Thank goodness for Aluminum.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
It will be water running down the inside of the door, through the speakers, along the door seal and down into the cabin - lots of discussion and solutions on this - the search function is wonderful :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had a persistent problem resulting in water dripping into the leg well just in front of the door. I finally isolated it to the top of the windscreen where the A piller and the roof line meet at a point. The mastic that seals the windsceen to the body has fractured and water is leaking in, running down the A post behind the plastic trim, dripping into the dash panel and dripping off the bottom of the dash panel onto the carpet.

After three attemps by my local Honda Garage with silicone mastic, I got a local windscreen repair company to pump the black windscreen mastic all around the edge of the windscreen from the inside. It has stopped that leak but where the Honda garage had had the outer A post capping on and off so many times, one of the clips have broken and the rubber seal along the edge onto the windscreen is not making contact. Under extreme conditions some water gets in and leaks through the clip hole.

The reason I think the windscreen sealant fails in the top corner is due to the small channel between the roof and the windscreen that can fill up with water and freeze in winter. I am not sure what your climatic conditions are like, but here we can have many freeze thaw cycles each winter, freezing at night, thawing during the day either by normal motoring or just the sun raising the air temperature. Each cycle puts stress on the windscreen and the mastic.

I do hope this observation is of assistance.

Chris T

·
Registered
35 Posts
My problem was caused by a botched windshield install job.

When my car had a former owner, some fool windshield installer broke most of the clips holding on the moulding that runs alongside the windshield and over the doors and to help hold that side down and (in an attempt) to prevent leaks, they put a giant gob of the super elastic black sealant which attached the passenger side moulding to the car's frame so well, I ended up bending the thing beyond repair trying to remove it from the car.

I ended up buying a new moulding for each side (a bit pricey @$180 despite the discount if I remember right) at http://www.hondapartsdeals.com, and it came with new plastic clips. I also bought new metal clips and new rivets which came with small seals attached. I used a small drill to drill out the rivets of the old clips (be careful not to smack the windshield and crack it!) and then used a pop-rivet tool to install the new ones, followed by a very careful reinstall of the plastic moulding so that all the clips were inserted correctly.

After this ordeal, the car is completely stock again (EG:no band-aid sealant) and I have not had one leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had a single large blob of water drop onto my ankle when driving to work in the rain the other day. I'm hoping that it's something easy to fix like the roof/A pillar thing. Wish me luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts