Honda Insight Forum banner

Wet Seatbelt

128649 262
:?:

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the "wet seatbelt" problem and has a definitive cure. Yesterday, my car sat out in the rain all day and when I got into the car and put on the seatbelt I discovered it was soaking wet. The further I pulled it out, the wetter it got to the point where I could actually ring it out. There have been a few posting on the Yahoo! groups about this problem but no definitive solution as whether it is a tensioner bolt problem or broken ckips. The car is going into the dealer tomorrow to have them take a look at it and I was hoping to be able to point them in the right direction as they only deal with one other Insight besides mine.
181 - 200 of 263 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Another insight user here with two wet seatbelts. It looks like the PO must have known about it since both of the trim covers the have the seat belt mechanism behind them had been pried off. Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures and given descriptions on how to fix this. Already busted one of the clips and one of the clip holders trying to get a better look in there. Ordering a new set from Honda soon.

· Registered
103 Posts
I am getting ready to do the procedure to fix the wet seatbelt problem on my driver's side A-pillar. Do all the clips break? Or do I just need to replace the clips along the edge with the black gasket and put silicone sealant along the top right clip that leaks water into the seatbelt tensioner area?

· Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Looks neat.

My Red car has a bad leak on the drivers side and I think the Black car has a smalk leak as it's condensing up inside and I had a wet belt the other day after a particularly heavy downpour the other dsy.

Inhave two sets of clips on back order.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
307 Posts
What kind of tape is this?
Thanks,
-Matt
Just run of the mill masking tape. It's been pouring here and I've not had a single drip through.

· Administrator
14,251 Posts
Puggie.
Can you do a write up/video/demo of how exactly you did that?
Razor blade to trim back the masking tape?

All my cars leak like sieves :(

· Registered
307 Posts
Puggie.
Can you do a write up/video/demo of how exactly you did that?
Razor blade to trim back the masking tape?

All my cars leak like sieves :(
Puggie?

Ah, I didn't explain what I did particularly well in that previous post. I used clear universal sealant along all the gaps.
Extreme Repair Sealant - UniBond

The masking tape was to make sure it was done neatly. It stops the water getting anywhere near the clips.

Has worked perfectly so far, didn't take long to do, and cost very little.

· Registered
5 Posts
Just run of the mill masking tape. It's been pouring here and I've not had a single drip through.
I see you use Unibond Extreme Repair Sealant. I wonder if clear FlexSeal would be the same thing as what you have in the UK? Do y'all think FlexSeal would work? I have some laying around in the house so I was wondering about that.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Do people add additional silicone caulking to prevent future leak through, or do you all just hope for the best with the new clips (see wet seat belt)?

· Registered
5 Posts
I have found that it was to much of a pain to take off the trim. I bought some outdoor silicone from WalMart that cost $3, used the end of the handle of a child's plastic spoon I had laying around and some cheap painters tape from WalMart. I taped off the roof and trim leaving only the cracks exposed, squeezed a thick single line of silicone all the way across only making one pass. Then I took the end of the handle of the kids spoon and slid it all the way across leaving a super smooth consistent line of silicone. You definitely have to do it quickly though because if you don't remove the tape within a couple of minutes then you won't be able to remove the tape at all :D.

It looks very professional and works perfectly. My seatbelts used to get soaked even in a very small short burst rain shower but there have been some monsoon type rain showers several times since applying the silicone and NO wetness period, I love it!!

· Registered
3,903 Posts
And to recap and make sure I've understand the problem, is it that upper square clip that is the source of the leak? I'll spread some silicone around it but do I need to put some around the holes of the other clips?

· Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,399 Posts
Yes that is the problem child.

Willie

181 - 200 of 263 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.