Honda Insight Forum banner

Wet seatbelts

2825 14
So the other month I had the wet seat belt, sick as a chip I read the various threads to sort this, as I was going away in my boat I decided to try a bodge! To stop boat windows leaking we have a product called Captain Tollies creeping crack sealer, I have used it and it works and works forever, so I used this stuff on the gap in the plastic roof trim, its a white and thin liquid, I put some in left it a couple of hours same again a few times until It was leaking out at the back of the trim. I had pulled the seatbelts out before I started this so they stayed dry, anyway a couple of months later even with torrential rain the belts are dry so my quick and easy bodge has worked..................for the time being:cool:
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
152 Posts
So the other month I had the wet seat belt, sick as a chip I read the various threads to sort this, as I was going away in my boat I decided to try a bodge! To stop boat windows leaking we have a product called Captain Tollies creeping crack sealer, I have used it and it works and works forever, so I used this stuff on the gap in the plastic roof trim, its a white and thin liquid, I put some in left it a couple of hours same again a few times until It was leaking out at the back of the trim. I had pulled the seatbelts out before I started this so they stayed dry, anyway a couple of months later even with torrential rain the belts are dry so my quick and easy bodge has worked..................for the time being:cool:
Any pics? I’ve been getting intermittent wet seatbelts recently and it’s been fairly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No
Any pics? I’ve been getting intermittent wet seatbelts recently and it’s been fairly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing to show really just put it in between the roof and the plastic trim and it runs into the leaks and seals them up. Like you it was occasionally at first then it was every time it rained so I bodged it but its good bodge

· Registered
575 Posts
I think the reason people want pictures is to see if it is as messy-looking as it sounds. I'm also wondering if a person would ever be able to remove them if needed. It sounds like a permanent solution.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used masking tape on the roof and the trim and as it leaked from other areas wiped it up with a cloth with some solvent on, no mess at all.
Ididnt want to remove what could be a very brittle plastic trim and break it, I hope that Peter has as much success as I did

· Registered
40 Posts
Hi

Really simple one... ALL generation 1s have this issue (sooner or later). BUT, here's the easiest fix. Simply leave your driver's side belt draped OVER the steering wheel and your passenger side buckled. (IF you are lucky enough to know ahead of time that it's going to rain.) The seat belts act as a sponge and if there's any bit of leak, it will soak into.

Rob
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
2000 - manual, silver, 207K, LTMPG 66.5
2001 - manual blue, 122K, LT MPG 65.8

· Registered
2000 Honda Insight
628 Posts
Where exactly is the leak? I currently have my headliner out. Is there anything I can seal from the inside?

· Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,399 Posts
It is at the top mounting tab of the roof pillar trim above the drivers and passengers front side window. No it can not be sealed from the inside. Not ALL G1 Insights have that problem. It usually happens after a windshield is replaced.

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Where exactly is the leak? I currently have my headliner out. Is there anything I can seal from the inside?
It is at the top mounting tab of the roof pillar trim above the drivers and passengers front side window. No it can not be sealed from the inside. Not ALL G1 Insights have that problem. It usually happens after a windshield is replaced.
There are additional areas for leaks that you will want to address. I found that the seam where the roof is welded to the rear quarter panel (above the rear side windows) can develop a crack and leak water. You have to pull off the plastic strips that start where the roof pillar trim ends and the rear hatch begins, clean that out, seal it, and figure out a way to re-secure the plastic tabs if the clips came off the tape that holds the clips to the roof. (IE, get more tape.)

On my recently acquired CVT I noticed water entering from the back of the rear hatch.

I bring these up because they contribute to moisture and mold and other yuckiness...

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are additional areas for leaks that you will want to address. I found that the seam where the roof is welded to the rear quarter panel (above the rear side windows) can develop a crack and leak water. You have to pull off the plastic strips that start where the roof pillar trim ends and the rear hatch begins, clean that out, seal it, and figure out a way to re-secure the plastic tabs if the clips came off the tape that holds the clips to the roof. (IE, get more tape.)

On my recently acquired CVT I noticed water entering from the back of the rear hatch.

I bring these up because they contribute to moisture and mold and other yuckiness...
And this is why I have tried the sealer, I dont like windows misting up or wet seat belts, lets see what the winter brings whether its a success or a wet failure

· Administrator
14,251 Posts
If just done all mine today with a good dose of Captain Tolly and clear silicone.

My 315,000 mile car was damp as hell last winter and is now a mobile mushroom farm.

I'm hoping it's better this year.

· Registered
25 Posts
So a month of hot weather has ended with a 24 hour period of heavy rain, and my seatbelt is dry which for me is a success fingers crossed it stays that way

My advice - Don't bother with silicone sealing of the edges of the roof trim. It won't last long, you will have to do it again and again, and it will get messier and more difficult every time.

Buy the correct clips here. The Honda part number is 91503-S3Y-003 :

10 Honda Rocker Pillars Floor & Exterior Moulding Clips:Amazon:Automotive
Amazon 10 Honda Rocker Pillars Floor & Exterior Moulding Clips

www.amazon.com

From Clips and Fasteners Inc. their part number is 21419

They cost $18 for 10 - enough to do one side.

Head size of these fasteners is 11 x 12 mm. Stem diameter 12 mm.

Then follow the method to remove the roof trim using a paint scraper, part covered with insulating tape to protect paint, and hammer to break the clips.

Once exposed you'll see the big rear clip with metal insert which is the one that leaks. Clean area thoroughly. Best sealant to use around this is the black stuff they use to bond windscreens. This really sticks hard and LASTS!

Add silicone to each of the other replacement clips and re-fit the moulding. Whilst you are at it, also good idea to prise out the T-moulding and clean the drainage channel.

Then you will have a PROPER fix which will last for years.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My advice - Don't bother with silicone sealing of the edges of the roof trim. It won't last long, you will have to do it again and again, and it will get messier and more difficult every time.

Buy the correct clips here. The Honda part number is 91503-S3Y-003 :

10 Honda Rocker Pillars Floor & Exterior Moulding Clips:Amazon:Automotive
Amazon 10 Honda Rocker Pillars Floor & Exterior Moulding Clips

www.amazon.com

From Clips and Fasteners Inc. their part number is 21419

They cost $18 for 10 - enough to do one side.

Head size of these fasteners is 11 x 12 mm. Stem diameter 12 mm.

Then follow the method to remove the roof trim using a paint scraper, part covered with insulating tape to protect paint, and hammer to break the clips.

Once exposed you'll see the big rear clip with metal insert which is the one that leaks. Clean area thoroughly. Best sealant to use around this is the black stuff they use to bond windscreens. This really sticks hard and LASTS!

Add silicone to each of the other replacement clips and re-fit the moulding. Whilst you are at it, also good idea to prise out the T-moulding and clean the drainage channel.

Then you will have a PROPER fix which will last for years.
The stuff I have used isnt what you think it is, its a very runny liquid used for sealing boat windows, it does really well and seams to have worked on the roof, but as always time will tell.
If it doesnt work I will order the parts and do the job properly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.