Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big ol' difference ... here in WV, sometimes I'm lucky to get 43 MPG. Here we have big hills and faster interstate speeds.

Went to Ohio yesterday to do some hiking in Athens, OH and courtesy of the minimal amount of hills and slower highway speeds we attained 48 MPG with cruise on.

5 MPG bonus just for being in a particular state versus another.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This isn't surprising at all. I think the biggest influence on my mpg is length of journey and where I drive.

Assuming no active hypermiling (e.g drive with load uphill and force soft glides downhill) I reckon that driving in a hilly area increases fuel consumption significantly.

I've noticed on longer journeys that driving at motorway speeds gets me about 52-53 mpg (imperial - that's 43-44 US) where the journey takes in a few hills. In a very flat area we're talking a little over 60 mpg (50 US).

As for shorter journeys, fuel cutoff on deceleration or dowhill coasting doesn't work when the car is cold.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You better believe flat ground makes a world of difference. I'm betting driving on the highway in the flat parts of the midwest will get you close to if not 60 MPG.(or more)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Stop n go is the worse. Your best bet is get to a point where you can idle along. Also where you buy gas I have seen a 5mpg difference. Ive seen better gas in the county vs city.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
38 Posts
You better believe flat ground makes a world of difference. I'm betting driving on the highway in the flat parts of the midwest will get you close to if not 60 MPG.(or more)
That's me, I live near Chicago and my 2011 won't do better than low 50's mpg at 65mph unless you follow a truck (from far away). The small engine has to work too hard maybe?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That's me, I live near Chicago and my 2011 won't do better than low 50's mpg at 65mph unless you follow a truck (from far away). The small engine has to work too hard maybe?
Very light throttle pressure and coasting are the keys. Driving in a regular manner to work, I was getting 45 MPG. Light throttle and coasting, I get 56-60 MPG.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
So Mike, your car feels like its going up hill all the time or has 20psi in the tires?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There's nothing light about 65 mph.
Drive it below 60, use as little throttle as needed to maintain speed and coast downhills and watch the MPG climb.

I get much higher MPG, doing as I described, with 195 60 15 touring tires; inflated to 36 PSI. I can do even better but like a quiet comfortable ride. Also limit your heat, defroster and AC use.

If you really want really high MPG get a Enginer PHEV Kit. I plan to get one as soon as I have the spare cash.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Even with the plug in kit, driving style helps too. Since my accident it has taken me a few months to get back into the groove. Its a different way of driving.

Having said that I cant get out of the mind set of lifting and reapplying pressure to make a traditional car with a slush box to lock its torque converter. Its a similar process to go into ev mode or lean burn. Once the torque converter locks with a traditional car you get your best mpg. I had that burned into my body since driving that ford focus sedan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So Mike, your car feels like its going up hill all the time or has 20psi in the tires?
Almost. At 65mph traveling south on I55 from Bolingbrook to south of Wilmington seems flat and I can get 55mpg driving with the light touch I always use, but returning home feels uphill all the way and rarely get more than 45mpg. These are 15 mile trips each way. So maybe there really is an elevation change. Now that I think about it, I only do that trip when my wife and I are going to Kankakee River state park to bike the great trail there. So there is a bunch of extra weight in the car for this trip. I never expected to fit 2 bikes inside the insight. I rarely drive on the Xways.

Drive it below 60, use as little throttle as needed to maintain speed and coast downhills and watch the MPG climb.
One time I did get 72mpg per MID from my house to the downtown Chicago (35 miles) until I exited the Xway. Then I was in stop and stop traffic and it went down real fast, but it was unbelievable that I really got 72mpg for 35 miles, no mods, 44psi tires. I did follow a truck, and on I55, you have to follow close or lose your position. I forgot to look at avg speed, it was probably 45mph.

Also limit your heat, defroster and AC use.
Agreed

If you really want really high MPG get a Enginer PHEV Kit. I plan to get one as soon as I have the spare cash.
I have I2, is the PHEV kit available? I wouldn't do it for now cause of the warranty issue and wife issue. I mod everything and never quite leave it in a finished look, my bad. Also, the cost vs return would be an issue for me cause I don't drive very many miles in a year. We're at 6k right now and I bought the car on June 21st, that's 8+ months, so we might do 9k miles a year. That is until we do a driving vacation.

In the suburbs when it's 35-80 degrees out (no ac, and no heat), I can normally get 60mpg going anywhere around here as long as the total trip is 10 miles or longer.

You'll note my fuelly numbers, 50mpg avg for 6k miles since I bought her, are not that good, but my wife also drives the insight and does pretty well, but not a hypermiler wannabe, so a whole lotta 40mpg trips. She does a few 60mpg trips home. She won't reset the MID so I just look at the 3 past trips.

Most of our trips are very short, and that's a problem for mpg, especially in the winter.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sounds like you got some aero issues. Once you get that fixed you will notice no benefits from drafting.

In a typical phev installation you get 15mpg gains. Ive got almost double epa. I calculated when I decided to buy it that it would take 2 1/2 years to break even.

Its been beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So how do I ID aero issues. I see you removed the rear wiper, that should help a little. Is there anything else aero related? Probably my stock tires are crap too, but that will have to wait till there's some wear.

My problem is I don't drive near the miles you do a year, maybe 9-10k, your 2.5 yr payback would be almost never for me. And I'd have to have an auto mode for my wife. She's smart, but not into modding stuff like I am. She just wants to drive.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My problem is I don't drive near the miles you do a year, maybe 9-10k, your 2.5 yr payback would be almost never for me. And I'd have to have an auto mode for my wife. She's smart, but not into modding stuff like I am. She just wants to drive.

They make a 2 kw kit that costs like $1,400; after tax rebate. With that, you can use the kit for 2 hours before having to charge it. I'm thinking about going that route.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My best highway mileage is keeping the MID one or two bars over 50 going up hills and losing speed and slowly losing MPG sometimes going down to 58mph cresting the hill then keeping the MID over 75 accelerating down hills and gaining MPG, anticipating the next hill I'll get up to 74mph at the base. On the level I'll try to keep to the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Best I can get in CA depending on the road and traffic is about 50 mpg according to the MID.. But usually less than 43 because of the roads/route I take (no other option)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just traveled from Chicago to Anapolis MD, 750 miles.

Chicago to Cleveland, 350miles, MID said 50mpg, night driving
Cleveland to Anapolis, 400miles, MID said 55mpg, day driving

Cruise ON all the time.

I don't really know why the difference, flat midwest got 50, and hilly PA and MD got 55??? Only diff I can think of was time of day of trip, so it was colder at night, drove till 3am. But hills shouldn't get better mileage, should they? I do keep the grill 30% blocked, tires at 44psi and the first oil change happened right before the trip.

Not in fuelly yet

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just traveled from Chicago to Anapolis MD, 750 miles.

Chicago to Cleveland, 350miles, MID said 50mpg, night driving
Cleveland to Anapolis, 400miles, MID said 55mpg, day driving

Cruise ON all the time.

I don't really know why the difference, flat midwest got 50, and hilly PA and MD got 55??? Only diff I can think of was time of day of trip, so it was colder at night, drove till 3am. But hills shouldn't get better mileage, should they? I do keep the grill 30% blocked, tires at 44psi and the first oil change happened right before the trip.

Not in fuelly yet
Was Econ on? If so, the typically poor mpg results from using cruise in hilly terrain were mitigated due to the Econ mode allowing more speed fluctuations, i.e., it allows the car to slow more on uphills than it would with Econ off. If you had turned off cruise, and allowed yourself to speed up on the downhills, using the gained momentum to help carry you up the following hills, I'm sure your mpg would have been substantially better.

But still, that was a great result!

PS. Oh! And you're probably correct about the daytime temps having an effect on your consumption.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, you can still get some seriously cool MPG figures in hilly terrain. Hills are everywhere around here, I know this. ;)

Glide up as much as you can using a little / moderate amount of pedal, and accelerate while staying in green over the speed limit down the other side and milk all that momentum for all its worth. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
mikejbb
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing