Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Insight, 89,000 miles. Just bought in June from my sister who got it from a reputable dealership. Diagnostics done on IMA at the time indicated nothing terrible. Ran like a charm all summer.

I got used to looking at how the battery charged and discharged. Until a month ago, the norm was 4/5 full. It would occasionally run to 1/2. Never below that.

Then a cold snap. My car was exposed in the street and unable to be run for 4 days in temps averaging -15 to 10. I did run it on idle 1/2 an hour twice a day.
Then disaster. The day after the snap ended, I left a dome light on, and the car needed a jump. Right away I could tell the IMA was different. It would go from zero charge to 100% in a blink, then struggled to stay over 50%.

Today I took a trip to a local mall, taking the interstate. The battery showed 4/5 upon start then on the 6 mile trip into town (to catch the interstate), the battery dipped to 50%, despite braking several times at lights (with ECO on). Mpg was 38. I’d usually get 43mpg.

Within 3 minutes of getting on the interstate, with ECO off to start, my IMA went to 0% even before any inclines, and remained there for the 8 miles of incline it took to get to the mall. It was charging the entire time, but not assisting at all. On the trip home, a gentle slope, it jumped to 100% full and assisted normally. My mpg jumped to 46.

Did something happen in the cold? Or the jump? It’s like it went from a healthy battery pack to a dying one overnight. Or was it just cold? It was 38°. Should I run the car in the neighborhood for 15 minutes before going on a highway now, or let it idle?

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Insight and it has done that a number of times when the battery would fully drain, it goes through a recharge process where it doesn't assist and gets fully charged. Then it should act normal after that.

· Registered
2000 Red G1 (5k, sold BAT 2019), 2000 Citrus (76k), 2000 G1 (205k)
8 Posts
2006 Gen1. I had the same problem after a recent cold snap (IMA light came on). Then, I left a dome light on and the car was completely dead. I charged the 12V (4 hours) to go to the dealer, and after driving a little ways all warning lights had completely resolved. Dealer told me the IMA was fine, but 12V was “bad” (Duracell — only 4 yo). Replaced 12V and things seem fine, but can’t drive it until next week (with another cold snap coming). I hope this is all it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts