Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading online of debates regarding differences in gas quality, additives, gas sources, etc. among the various tiers of gas retailers. What brand of gas do you use and why? For example, is a Chevron/Shell/76 likely to provide "better" quality gas (cleaner, more additives, etc) for our cars than say Arco, Valero, or some lesser known retailer?

In my four fill ups on my I2 so far I've used Shell twice and Costco twice (regular grade). Am I getting a lesser quality gas by getting it at a retailer like Costco? Or is it all the same?

·
Registered
100 Posts
gas is fungible. which means all gas stations get the gas from the same pipeline throughout north america. there is no costo gas or shell gas. The shell gas stations add the shell additive which makes it shell gas.
so, no difference except for the additives which may or may not help. i normally buy shell additive (techron or some such) separately in those bottles and add it to the fuel every 10K miles when i do the oil change. much better to do that and it keeps the engine equally clean.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Awhile back my internet search told me that for regular gas Texaco puts the most addative in, and Chevron is second. Shell only puts addative in their midgrade and premium. So when out of my area I seek out Texaco or Chevron at the lowest price.

Within my area I've found that the difference has more to do with the particular station where I buy then the brand. For example the local Chevron station sometimes gives average mpg and other times very good mpg. One local Texaco always gives great mgp, another one doesn't. I found an Exxon in near-by Florence which always gives great mpg. Oddly the Chevron is always highest price, the Texaco and Exxon always low. I think ownership is a factor. The Chevron owner owns several stations and is an a.h. to his employees. The Texaco guy is fair to his employees and is always trying to undercut Safeway gas.....which can be good or bad, but is always crowded.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Gas is made from oil from a variety of countries, some who wear baseball hats, etc. We water it down with ethanol to make use of our surplus grain.

I try to buy the cheapest for the card I have, which is wawa. I get a sandwich and points on my purchases and reciepts that double as coupons for use in the store. Some of my coworkers say that wawa gas makes their check engine light come on.

When I had my supercharged tacoma, it loved shell v power of all. Otherwise I use wawa. Some poeple say top tier is the only gas you should use as well as little to no ethanol as possible.

Its not going to damage the car, so keep that in mind before you pay more or drive out of your way to get it.

gas is gas is gas. The only thing that differs is price and the turban heads that sell it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, and yes

·
Registered
389 Posts
I usually use Chevron for all my vehicles. Shell and Costco would be a substitute when it isn't available.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i got a question bout when you putting in gas

lets say you wanna put 25 on your car.. but the tank fills up sooner, i can still try and put a little more gas on the car till the gas gun clicks....

how much more gas can you put in your car after the gas gun clicks, meaning " the tank is full" ??:-?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Don't......you will overfill the "Evap.Canister"........Not worth the effort. Slow fill till the hose shuts off........"CLICK".......STOP.

Willie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking around, it seems there's no guarantee that premium gas is ethanol free. Has anyone tried putting premium in an I2? Is there a mileage difference?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I tried both at a WAWA station which is fuel by tankers with the Eagle logo on it. I find with midgrade its easier to accelerate at an idle speed vs the cvt ramping up the ratio.

I saw this behaviors with my blown tacoma, however it likes Shell V Power with a bottle of 104 on top of that. With both it shifted to the highest gear correctly and the torque converter stayed locked. With out the 104 or with just mid grade it upshifted and unlocked the torque converter like a small car would.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Cobb
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing