Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im cool with the two seater thing, no prob. But what about the back, how much storage space is there, how much can you get in one?

Any personal experience is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Storage

The correct answer to that is "its all relative". If I say "a lot" would that make sense? I am 6'3" and took my best bud and I skiing - we packed our two fairly large suitcases, ski boots, his ski's, poles, beer, and 2 guitars as well. I have not found myself short of space in this thing. Also realize that if space is a concern for occasional trips, you can rent a minivan with your daily gas savings.

PS - mileage goes down when hauling that much crap.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
As per the encyclopedia....

Cargo volume (Honda's figure) 462 liters (16.3 cu ft)
Main cargo area (by EU standards) 139 liters (5 cu ft)
Below-floor storage area 48 liters (1.5 cu ft)

In reality I find it surprising how much will fit in. I purchased a rather large lawnmower and thought it would have to be removed from the box but it went in no trouble with room to spare.
The height of the rear window certainly helps towards the volumn and the under floor cubby is a security bonus plus there is more space available if this tub is lifted out.

DGate

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It will fit two Dahon folding bikes under the rear hatch with room to spare

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not quite twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree... [rimshot] but if you leave the humans out of the equation, pretty close... :roll:

My Beloved and I took a three week trip in our Insight shortly after we got it, drove it all over most of the southern Western states and up to Utah, and even ended up on top of Pike's Peak for good measure on the way back (as far as we know, we were the first CVT up there). Almost 5,000 miles. Three overhead-bin-sized suitcases and a larger suitcase, plus incidentals and the useless crap we bought along the way (there are almost two thousand thrift stores between here and there. I know, we visited every last blessed one of them. My Beloved loooooves finding china and crystal stuff at thrift stores... and I still love her. Go figure). Surprisingly, I was able to somewhat see out the big back window (but not the little one). Use the "hidden" trunk above the spare, and you'll add to the cubic footage. :D

Useful hint: Go to a store that sells a big variety of tablecloths, and get a cheap black square one, 5'X5' or so, and use that to cover your stuff (available on sale especially after Halloween, usually for next to nothing). If you have tint (and even if you don't), it makes whatever you carry back there invisible to the lowlifes that covet your stuff. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
When my boyfriend and I went to Hybridfest over the summer we fit both our suitcases, a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 foam mats, 2 pillows, a cooler and some misc. junk I was taking to my apartment. Still had plenty of vertical room so I could still see fine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i have fit a mountain bike with front wheel romoved

and on another occasion, i fit everything needed for a day at the track on a motorcycle(minus the motorcycle itself): full set of leathers, helmet, camera, change of clothes, tool kit, misc snacks, and some other stuff...along with my 12" subwoofer that lives behind the passenger seat...and could still see out the rear window easily

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
By trunk, do you mean the hatchback, or the under-floor storage area? If the latter, two notebook computers (in cases) plus a small clothes bag. Or three bags of groceries, if they're not stuffed to the brim...

In the hatch area, in addition to the bikes, packs, and so on already mentioned, at various times I've carried a 100 lb dog, 50 lb sacks of dog food, a sack of concrete, an office chair (disassembled), an electric lawnmower (ditto), and I don't know what all else.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Under the hatch I have also carried a gas powered lawn mower with the handle folded

·
Registered
466 Posts
a pair of bose 601 speakers. and i couldnt even see them in the rear view mirror. lots of room, but limited weight capacity. there is a thread or two on here somewhere about beefing up the rear suspension a bit to help with extra heavy loads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I folded up the handle of a garden roto tiller(big one) and pushed it up a ramp, into the back of my insight. Also, another time, I disassembled a bed (air mattress') and fit all of it in the back. It was packed to the gills that trip. The bed has lots of foam padding, etc.
I did have to put up my roof top carrier once, to haul 4 - 16 foot or so, lengths of plastic drain pipe. But I think most vehicles, besides a pickup, would have to have a cartop for that instance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks yall for all the info, it seems like I really wouldnt have to worry about space, I have a sedan right now and it seems like the insight has just as much, if not more storage space than my car (minus the back seat).
Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I fit all of my military and civilian clothes and necessities (to include a 13" tv and xbox w/ many games) for three months of military training 850 miles away in Virginia. The storage space under the flap in the trunk can be deceiving. It adds a lot more room to the trunk than it appears to.

When my fiancee and I went grocery shopping for the 1st time in my Insight, she complained all the way to the store that we should have taken her SUV. (We go to the military commissary about once every 2 months for all of our grocery shopping to save money.) She was shocked when everything fit in the back with no problems. (It was tight, but it fit.) :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have loaded the Insight with 5 eight foot long 2x4 studs - they fit through to the front sitting on top of the dash and the rear hatch closed.

I have also hauled a 150 ft roll of 1" poly gas piping when I needed to replace the gas line to my spa heater. The hatch lid wouldn't close, but I tied it down to mid position and made it home fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well my trunk is almot full with a 10" Kicker sup\woofer in it. Alo have some room left over for a small tool kit, jumper cables and a mini air compressor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On many occasions, I've packed 2 full sized road bicycles in, with only the respective front wheels removed. However, it was a bit of a challenge, and it seems like the configuration was different each time ;)
In case you're wondering, the 2 front wheels, pump, helmets and other stuff were in the rear space as well, as the passenger seat was occupied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, this is old thread but does anyone know if you can fit a large dog in insights trunk? I´m looking for a new (used) car and I really like the insight but not sure if my dog (large gsp) fits in the trunk? Can´t really take the dog with me on a test drive either.

-----

edit: Sorry, wrong forum. looking for 2gen insight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts