Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I did this a while back, but wanted to wait until I was sure it worked before posting.

You know that annoying squeak-squawk in the rear of the car, where the rubber-bumpers of the hatch sit on the top of the bumper? I took small pieces of black-foam pipe insulation and double-sticky-taped them to the bottom of the rubber bumpers.

A simple thing, really, compared to the complicated stuff everyone else does. But the the noise is gone!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Took mine to the dealership last night with a long-term, loud, front-end rattle and expected the worst. Got a call this morning. They tightened the hood latch and the rattle vanished. And also "your front and rear suspension are in great shape." How nice.

While there, was kind of ambushed by a salesguy who *actually knew tons of true stuff* about hybrids and tried like the chickens to get me to sit in a new Insight. It's pretty, for sure, but oh-so-big. I think I'll stick with my G1, for now.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A G1 with today's tech in lithium ion pack, 6spd, and a turbo would be fantastic.
I've had a couple regular Hondas and always look along the front lip of the hood for rust. Honestly, after 40 years you'd think you'd know that was going to happen, huh?

All I'd need would be the lithium batteries. Otherwise, the car is perfect--until I'm too creaky to get in and out of it.

I do believe my next vehicle will be 'lectric only. It'll likely be the last one I'll ever buy, and I've wanted an electric car ever since I was 5 years old. I'm happy I've lived long enough to own one!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Window tint!!
I don't live in GA, but it made a difference with mine, parking at work with no shade available. Interior heats slower. Cools off faster. Stays cool easier. Looks cooler, too!

·
Registered
816 Posts
After getting the pass. side a-pillar garnish back on last night, I did a little touch-up for stone chips, buffed out a couple small lines in the clear coat, cleaned the windows, readed out the interior, and went for drive because the car looked so good!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Had my 12 year old wheels reconditioned...
Beautiful Wheels!

I need to have this done. Mine make my car look older than it should.

What color did they use?

And, would you mind giving a ballpark of how much?

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are actual wheel restoration shops...
The ones I've scoped out around here want at least a couple hundred per for a turning/restoration. That's just the wheels, mind you, no stems/remount/balancing.

If you know of a good shop that'll resto them cheaper I'd check into the shipping to see if it'd be worth my while!

I've tried to talk my (excellent) body shop guy into media-blasting + clear-coating, but he says he can't do it well enough to make *him* happy. I keep telling him my standards are lower than his, but so far, no deal.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
..... The body is weak but my will is strong...
My Dear Old Dad used to say "I have a strong will, but a weak won't."

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yesterday: Oil change and new spark plugs (ouch). Everything else checked out A-OK, which is always a wonderful thing to hear.

Y'know... I understand how this group hates to give advice ;] ... But I need some.

Moderators, you can break this off into a separate thread, if you wish. If there's a thread that already answers my questions, please refer me to it.

I've read thru several threads on the following topic, but there's so much conflicting information and oftentimes heated discussions. I'm not looking to start any arguments--I just need good advice from people who know more than me.

I drive a 2002 MT with 148k-miles. In the 2 years since I bought it, I've driven to work: 50 miles, round trip, 5 days a week. However, I'm retiring in a couple months and there's no way I'm going to be using the car on anything like a regular basis.

Upon purchase, I was told the car had a "new" battery. I do not know the brand. I live in northern Ohio--a pretty flat area, and unless I drive it really hard, the SOC stays well between 50% and the top. I've had 2 positive recals and these after the car sat overnight and when the weather was very hot.

Am I correct in figuring that I should get a discharge-charge unit to help maintain the battery?

If so can you make a suggestion for something that's dead simple to use? I do not have the ability to build a home-made unit. And because I lack the spryness to crawl around inside the car, I'll need to have the connections made by someone who is competent. No need to burn the car, garage, and house down!

Or... Should I simply not worry about the battery and just drive the car when I can?

Finally... There is a "EPA Check" where I live. No tags if the engine's throwing codes.

What say ye?

·
Registered
816 Posts
More like what I did in my Insight...

Best morning drive, ever, 79mpg @ 70mph over 25 miles. With no apparent assist or charge. And my lifetime mileage bumped up to 65mpg. Though, that’ll drop once winter weather comes ‘round.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What is your air pressure? Your mileage is real good.
Thanks!

I run very low pressures, compared to most folks. 38# the whole way round. I know I could bump it up -a lot- and get better mileage, but prefer not to sacrifice the ride.

Yesterday, there were nearly perfect conditions. I got in with a bunch of traffic and rode the wave. Today, I was back down in the low 70s. Keep in mind it's FLAT here -- the difference low/to high across the 25 miles is 80 feet and nearly all of that is from one overpass. Besides the on- and off-ramps, it's more how long you can keep it in lean-burn than anything else.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I discovered my G1, at 65mph, on a wet highway, makes road noise in the same key as the theme song to Game of Thrones!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Installed a clutch switch. Not too bad a job. I’m sort of surprised (encouraged?) to find that my body still bends in such a manner.

I used speaker wire, stripped about a cm at the end, twisted and stuck into the connector with a bit of electrical tape to ease any strain. If you’ve not done it, on mine, the extra space was at the top of the existing wires. I would’ve been done in about 15 minutes were it not for the cruise switch. Blinking thing was exactly in the wrong spot. Naturally.

I don’t know if I’m going to leave it in, so I hooked up a regular wall switch and put everything in the little drop box to the outside of the steering wheel. I went out for a short drive and it stops both charging and IMA. Auto stop is catch as catch can. The vehicle drives very differently. Almost like the old air-cooled VWs that I love so much.

I’m looking forward to seeing what changes it makes to my mileage on my regular commute!

·
Registered
816 Posts
...looking forward to seeing what changes it makes to my mileage on my regular commute!
It’s made zero difference in my mileage. I do enjoy driving it without having to think about the battery and, if I mind the gears, I can get the performance I want. That little engine buzzes right along like a bumblybee!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've been thru many other threads but cannot tune my search to find what I need...

I'm been bit by the Nathan-bug and am groovin' on this Clutch Switch something fierce. No discharge. No charge. Driving a fun, little car with exceptional mileage.

The battery stays at full-up minus 3 bars. But what are the down-sides of leaving the switch on, like all the time? Am I doing harm?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discovered the other morning, leaving for work, that unlocking the car and opening-closing the passenger door does *not* keep the car from auto-locking itself, even if you happen to toss the keys/fob onto the seat for "safekeeping." Yeah. They were safe, all right, locked inside the car! I swore, then laughed because I had asked my spouse, just the night before, where the spare house key was hidden.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wonder what controls this? When you open the passenger door, does the light come on in the car?
I pulled the passenger door a little, tossed in the stuff and closed it and it self-locked. The next day, I opened it wide to reach in for the ice-scraper and... it did NOT lock.

I'm retiring in 2 days. I'll have time to test it out. Maybe, if I feel like it. Perhaps not even then!

·
Registered
816 Posts
My defrost seems to run when the temps get below freezing. Since only the two bottom lines work, that’s all I get, besides the vertical pane at the back end.

·
Registered
816 Posts
UPDATE: After 150+ miles under a variety of driving conditions I am cautiously optimistic that the simple one-time balance charge has done away with the "swoopiness" in the top half of the SOC. It pretty much sticks a couple lines down from "full," just like it did when I purchased the car 2 years back (with a new-at-the-time, unknown battery). Here's hoping it continues to behave!

Of course, in posting this I probably jinxed myself to the Underverse and back!

-------------------------------

Yesterday, had a Hybrid Automotive charging harness install by Jeff @ Chardon Motors just east of Chardon, OH. Did a fine job in very little time, even though he’s more of a Prius guy (not to be held against him, naturally).

So... Today finished up my first balance charge. The SOC-o-meter has been a little more swoopy between the top and halfway than in the past. I am hoping a simple balance will take care of it. We shall see, shan’t we?

And... Thanks, S Keith, for everything you know about charging. Very useful information!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts